Home Buying in 07036>Question Details

Steven, Home Buyer in

Ceiling was peeling and was covered by drop ceiling. Need to get a Lead Paint inspection. Any recommendations? Prices?

Asked by Steven, Thu Dec 13, 2012

In the process on purchasing a a 3 unit multi-family property. When I went to the home, I observed that the original ceiling was being covered by drop ceiling. The ceiling paint was peeling so I think it is best to have a Lead Paint inspection done. Been having a hard time finding an inspector. Any recommendations?

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

5
Prices range from $300-$500 depending on several factors including the size of the home.
http://www.njmoldinspection.com/lead_paint.html - Here is a good company for lead pain inspections...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 13, 2012
If the home was built before 1978 more than likely it is.
But keep in mind before the 80's it was primarily plaster, so if you have sheet rock it might not be lead paint.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 6, 2013
So I contacted several Lead Paint inspection companies. All wanted $500-$600 to come out to check for Lead paint. I did some research and found that you can buy a Lead Paint Test Kit that is EPA recognized and ETV tested to detect lead and lead chromate in all layers of paint. Prices vary from $10-$50 at a local hardware store and gave me the results I needed for a much cheaper price.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 9, 2013
Lead poisoning occurs by Ingestion to children and inhalation for adults. Children under 6 are prone to lead poisoning during ingestion when putting their toys in mouth that has lead paint chips or chewing window sills that has lead based paint. Adults are prone to lead poisoning due to inhalation if they dont protect themselves with mask during home improvement work.
if the ceiling is covered with drop ceiling and peeling paint is covered up then it is safe. It is impossible to remove lead paint from walls and ceilings unless completely demolished.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 20, 2012
It would depend upon the age of the house; if it was built in the 80's- you're probably safe.
If the ceiling you are talking about, is that "popcorn" ceiling; they didn't use lead in that.
That popcorn stuff is easy to take off; just spray it with water, and scrap it with a wide trowel. You may have to texture it afterward; but it is worth it.

Good luck and may God bless
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 13, 2012
The house may be close to 80 years old. The ceilings are plaster. I heard that humidity causes paint to peel on plaster ceilings.
Flag Thu Dec 13, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer