Home Buying in Highland Park>Question Details

Cary R, Real Estate Pro in 92253

Cary Russ My wife and I are planning to sell our home. She wanted me to ask youa few questions.

Asked by Cary R, 92253 Fri Apr 12, 2013

My wife and I are planning to sell our home. She wanted me to ask you when is best time to bring a relator into assess the value and continue the process toward listing. When it is cleaned up, painted and ready to sell or before then? What is the best process to find the right realtor to list our house?

Answers

10
I suggest you totally declutter, then totally clean and then call in three local Realtors from the 3 big companies nearest to your home. Test them to see how available they are by phone and also by email. Then ask them for advice on painting and what to do to make it ready to sell. Do not paint it all yourself with glossy paint on the walls or some other painting mistake. Flat finish paints hide bumps better. The comfort factor you feel with each Realtor, the pricing knowledge in the market and their marketing plan will guide you towards picking the right one.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 12, 2013
This is a great time to sell your home. The best time to bring a realtor for an interview is as soon as you are considering selling your home. Is best to tidy up and do necessary repairs before you put your home in the market. I think the best process to find a realtor is to interview realtors and then decide who you feel comfortable working with. We as realtors is our job to keep informed and happy with your decision.
The best time to bring in a Realtor is at the beginning. For me, I like to make an appt to come in, do my listing presentation (to show what I and my company can do for you), tour the home to see what needs to be done prior to listing and offer advice on how to stage your home to be the most attractive for the buyer.

Then, I research the comps and prepare a Comparative Market Analysis of your home. I come back for a second appt and present my findings (and answer any questions). And we go from there.

The best process to finding the right Realtor is to ask for a personal recommendation (if you know someone who is a Realtor or knows a good Realtor, that is a good place to start. If you don't have a recommendation, go with your gut. You should interview 3 potential Agents if at all possible.

My cell number is 312.375.9706 and my email is jen.waldman@cbexchange.com

Let me know if you or your wife have further questions.

Have a fabulous night!

~ Jen
Hi Cary,
I like to meet with my clients prior to the home being listed. I tour the home with the seller(s) and offer advice on how to stage the home, fix and/or repair items to the home. Cary, it has been such an active market since January. Homes which are in a good location, are "move in ready", look the best and priced to sell, have been going under contract within 3-5 days of the home coming on the market with mulItiple offers.
The buyer is more apt to take interest in your home if it is presented in an orderly and somewhat stylized fashion. Think of selling your home as being on an interview. The goal is to neutralize the home.
It is quite common for home buyers to make a decision about a home within seconds of viewing.
So give them plenty of reasons to pick your home!
Please feel free to call me for a MArket Analysis. (847) 681-4143. ~Pam
Realtors that have been around a while can see through all the problems. You can comfortably work about 90 days out from your intended sell date. Any farther out than that and the information they are going to provide you about valuation is not going to be relevant. Cleaning up is a given. Depending on the overall condition of the home, other things may or may not be as useful for resale. It will partially depend on your overall goal (maximize price, timing of move, etc).

Finding a Realtor is easy and difficult. Your home is a major asset. Trusting the advice of somebody because they talk a good game is a little scary. Talk with a few agents to understand what they bring to the table. Do they communicate the way you want? Are they a good fit for your personality? Some clients prefer to be told what to do. Others want to be educated.

Selfishly, you could start by looking at the profiles of the contributors on this board. See if any of them look like they would be a good fit for you. I'm pretty good, but maybe you like someone with a different focus. Send one or two emails to strike up a conversation. They may not know your specific market enough to list your property, but the would be a good source to point you in the right direction.

Geoff Ommen
Broker Baird & Warner
847-271-2622
Geoff.ommen@bairdwarner.com
http://www.geoffgetsit.com
You have to live somewhere, so the first question is where do you want to move to and timing to change residence. As for valuation, an agent can provide you a snapshot of what has closed in the past six months to year and what the current active competition for your category of house in your neighborhood within a radius and school district. Start de-cluttering now, grunt work, discarding or donating items you don't wish to move. As for paint color choices, stick to neutral, non white beige's. Carpeting replacement or deep cleaning, fix repairs that are obstacles to any buyers. Put the buyer goggles on, I suggest you ask an agent to show you neighborhood comps so you know what buyers are seeing in your price range. Rent a storage locker to assist the removal of items you wish to keep, less is more when it comes to making a home look larger. If you have a modest home, it will not need to have major renovation to sell. Ask neighborhood friends for referrals, Interview 3 agents, ask for marketing plans.
Best of luck.
If you like my answer, best answer & thumbs up me, thanks!
Call the realtor before you clean up and start painting. I am an accredited home stager and prefer to get involved from the beginning. I have good advice about where and what to spend money on in order to get you top dollar in today's market.
My suggestion is to bring in a realtor at the beginning. Part of our job is to help you evaluate everything in your home and determine what needs to be done to enhance it's value to buyers. We will suggest to you what is necessary to achieve that goal. This is also a good opportunity for you to interview the realtor to determine if you can comfortably communicate and establish a good working relationship with them. You will also learn about how they will prepare and market your home.
I'd suggest bringing a Realtor in, before you clean up and paint, etc... Realtors might have some suggestions as to other decluttering, repairs or decorating that you should do to show your home off to it's best advantage.

They might, also, tell you that replacing the shag carpet in the rec-room isn't necessary, or that remodelling the half bath is a waste of money.

Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Hi Cary
I think the best time to engage a realtor is in the beginning. He can help you with the whole preparation process, helping you choose which projects are worth doing and which are not worth spending money.