Pcole, Home Buyer in Birmingham, AL

Can you provide me with a nationwide search for a home? I am about to retire and am open to a move anywhere except to extreme heat or cold.

Asked by Pcole, Birmingham, AL Mon Aug 15, 2011

Looking for 5000-9000 sf home on quiet, private land. Prefer 10 - 25 acres.

Answers

9
Wow. That's a lot of real estate to sift through. As with any buyer, I would first cousel you to think about what else you want to be near in your retirement years. Do you want to be close to family? Friends? Sports venues? Arts venues? Libraries? Medical care? Brokerage firms? Low property tax areas? Restaurants? Beautiful scenery? Will you entertain overnight visitors for any length of time? Have you travelled in any area of the country that particularly appeals to you? These are just a few of the questions you should be asking yourself about how (not yet "where") you want to live in your retirement years.

If you buy a home on land or acreage, but it's not near anything you want to be close to, it will diminish the happiness of your purchase. Additionally, you have to consider what your budget will allow, and how much that will buy in the area or areas in which you would like to live.

As mentioned previously, any of the large national search sites, such as Realtor.com, Trulia.com or their competitors, should give you plenty of properties to look through. I would suggest that you educate yourself more on how you want to live, then where you want to be, rather than what home you want to buy (or build).

For many retirees, Alabama has a wealth of such sites to choose from apart from the warm, sunny Gulf Coast. If you would truly prefer to live somewhere else, our state won't be satisfactory. Once you decide where you would like to be, many local agents can refer you to an agent in the area you prefer. The referral agent will use his skills and expertise with your preferred local area(s) to help you find what you need.
I know a home with about 5000 sf, it is a stack stone exterier home, very private, built along a creek; and has over 13 acres, 10' to 18' ceilings,huge stacked stone fireplace. walking trails. absolutely unique custom design
in Mountain Brook. Unbelievable setting w/ 130' rock bluffs above home !!!! pics are available if interested.
Colorado is a great place to retire. Although we do get snow, it melts quickly since we are a mile high and close to the sun. Even on cold days, if the sun is out, you can sit next to a window and feel the warm sun. We do get hot in the summer too, but it is a dry heat. There are several 55+ communities within an hour of Denver if you are interested in those types of neighborhoods. Colorado offers tons of amenities including sports venues, theaters, great shopping, and tons of outdoor activities too.

I have known many people who have left Colorado, but have moved back. Once you move to Colorado, nothing else compares!

Just let me know if you'd like more information. Good luck in your search!

Rachel Dammann
North Carolina is a great place to retire, you can live on a lake or in the mountains.
There are at least two gated communities in Ashville:
One is near Black Mountain with new Tiger Woods Golf Course. Just a few minutes from Ashville there is the Cliffs, upscaled and very beautiful. There is a third one right over border on Rt.25 going to Greenville SC, it is hotter there than in the mountains. I think they call it the Cliffs Valley.
Go online to Cliffs Communities and you can see them all.
Near Hendersonville:
Not gated, but very nice is Champion Hills, very well established, no debts.
Kenmure, gated,also very well established and great! Next to Flat Rock Playhouse - North Carolina State Theater -
also Golf, Tennis, Book Club... have friends living there and they started looking in Cap Cod, than went to Ashville and found there dream home. Prices are now incredible !!!
Go on line and look at their websides.
Best bets are Champion Hills and Kenmure. Established and in good financial shape.
If you are interested, please let me know and I will connect you with an experienced Agent they no all the pro and cons.
Annemarie
205-821-3279
Wow, thats what happens when you act before your first coffee in the morning!
Go on line and search for "the most livable" articles. Some of these are geared for retiress.
Check out Realtor.com. It contains every active listing from every MLS throughout the country. You select the search criteria (state, city, different areas within the city, price range, number of bedrooms, baths, etc) and the system will show every home in that area fitting that criteria. Once you find the area you like, ask your local agent to refer you to an agent in your target area. If I can answer any questions for you or help in any way please feel free to call.

Rachel Garrett
RealtySouth - Inverness
Birmingham, AL
(205) 960-7220
Web Reference: http://MyAgentRachel.com
Im a Keller Willians agent as well, with a nation wide network of Realtor, both Keller Williams and non Keller Williams agents.

Also a GREAT website to look at is City Data. I do not have the URL on me, but just Google "City Data" or I can send it later. Ill also post a good magizne you may want to subscribe to as well.

Paul D Dziedzic
(205) 267-2673
Web Reference: http://www.pauld-kw.com
Hi Pcole. I'm with Keller Williams. We are the 2nd largest real estate company in the US. So, I can help you find a home anywhere in the country. We have access to other listings throughout the country. Please contact me, and we can discuss everything. My number is 205-514-5177, or email me at listorbuywithbrown@gmail.com or jrbrown@kw.com.
Your best bet is to get a buyer broker in the area you are looking who can conduct your search and get you listings that meet your crioteria. You can usually do so at no cost to you, they get paid their commission from the fee advertsised in MLS by the listing agent and paid at closing. This way they can get the information for you and you will have someone assisting you through each step of the buying process.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com