Home Buying in Temecula>Question Details

michelle web…, Home Buyer in Temecula, CA

Can we run a Bed & Breakfast/Hotel in the Glen Oaks home we buy ? Who has to approve this?

Asked by michelle weber, Temecula, CA Tue May 21, 2013

Answers

6
Is it located in the Glenoak Hills Community Association? If so the quick answer would be no. The community is now managed by Avalon Management and they can be reached for confirmation at 951-244-0048. The community rules restricts business operated out of the property.

If you are just going to be in Riverside County without a homeowner's association, then Riverside County Planning would be where to start http://www.tlma.co.riverside.ca.us/planning/content/zoning/o…

You may also want to check out the Wine Country Plan site listed in the left hand column of our blog
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 21, 2013
Thank you so much for the information. There is a hotel being run in that community at 41725 Avenida Ortega which is always occupied and advertised on facebook under Villa de la vine. We looked at property in that neighborhood and were told by one of the neighbors about how busy that hotel is so we were hoping to buy a house in the same neighborhood and make a living at the same time. How is that business allowed to exist there? Thank you again for the information, my apologies for all the questions.
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi Stephanie,

If you would like a list of email address to city planners etc...I have a list I can send to you. We have assisted many buyers in the area over the last 20 years.

Please feel free to look at our profile etc... http://www.BigAvocado.com

Scott and Shelley Weier
Cal State Realty
C2 Financial Corp
951-264-1195
http://www.CalStateRealty.us
You should check zoning and CC&Rs and the city/county for variance (if possible).
Thank you so much for the information. There is a hotel being run in that community at 41725 Avenida Ortega which is always occupied and advertised on facebook under Villa de la vine. We looked at property in that neighborhood and were told by one of the neighbors about how busy that hotel is so we were hoping to buy a house in the same neighborhood and make a living at the same time. How is that business allowed to exist there? Thank you again for the information, my apologies for all the questions
Sorry...for all the repeats. My mistake!
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Wow did not know that the owners were doing that. They may just be trying it while they are trying to sell it. It is an active listing and being marketed as a home.
We actually lived on that street and considered the same option. However considering the rules and the impact on our neighbors...chose not to do so. Unfortunately just because someone is getting away with something doesn't make it right and I would not advise you to buy a property based on something unsure.

Please verify with the association (maybe there is a loophole that I am not aware of) and PLEASE look into the county's requirements and licensing process before moving forward. I don't think they make it real easy. Good luck!
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
We actually lived on that street and considered the same option. However considering the rules and the impact on our neighbors...chose not to do so. Unfortunately just because someone is getting away with something doesn't make it right and I would not advise you to buy a property based on something unsure. Please verify with the association (maybe there is a loophole that I am not aware of) and PLEASE look into the county's requirements and licensing process before moving forward. Good luck!
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Wow did not know that the owners were doing that. It used to be owner occupied. We actually lived on that street and considered the same option. However considering the rules and the impact on our neighbors...chose not to do so. Unfortunately just because someone is getting away with something doesn't make it right and I would not advise you to buy a property based on something unsure. Please verify with the association (maybe there is a loophole that I am not aware of) and PLEASE look into the county's requirements and licensing process before moving forward. Good luck!
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Flag Tue May 21, 2013
Hi Stephanie, because Glen Oaks is in an unincorporated area you'll have to check with Riverside County for zoning details.
Another issue, you may or may not have considered but if you're getting a residential loan to purchase the home, converting it to commercial use (B&B) could trigger the acceleration clause in your mortgage.
You should check with your city zoning laws, if there are HOA guidelines for the neighborhood also. Those are a good place to start.