Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

Mrs.watkins1…, Other/Just Looking in San Antonio, TX

Can we get a home?... Help!!!

Asked by Mrs.watkins1218, San Antonio, TX Tue Aug 14, 2012

Hello
I have a small part time job and my husband is in the military we are both 21 and ready to stop paying for apartments that we can never call home, just throwing our money away. but we don't know the first thing about buying a home. i have a good credit score and my husband has a fair credit score. We really are looking for a Home to grow into like 3br. 2ba. Thank you in advance. Mariah**

Answers

11
Hi Maria,

I'm sorry but a 546 credit score is too low for most of the mortgages available these days. There are a few lenders out there that will tell you they can an FHA loan down to a 500 score but it's going to be very difficult and it will require a 10% down payment.

VA and USDA both require a 620 or better middle credit score. The best program in my opinion is VA so as long as your husband can qualify on just his credit and income, that''s the direction you should take.

Please feel free to contact me for more information or help. You can also find more information on my VA Mortgage website by clicking the link below.

John Burke
Senior Mortgage Banker
ENG Lending
(877)228-9069
Mariah

As I stated earlier, I would be honored to assist you. I am retired Air Force of 22 years and I work with military couples everyday and in all price ranges. I have a couple of great lenders and they can help you decide on what is the best price of home for you to be looking for in San Antonio.

I am available from around 8am - 11pm most nights. Feel freed to call or email me anytime.

Sincerely
Terri Saari

Terri Saari, Realtor®
GRI, CNE, SFR, e-Pro, ABR, AHLS, CHMS, CNHS
Certified Relocation Specialist
Retired United States Air Force
Kimberly Howell Properties
21252 Gathering Oak, Ste 100, San Antonio TX 78260
210-887-3477 Cell
210-493-6888 Office
210-493-7002 Fax
http://www.WelcomeHomeToSA.com
Texas' FIVE STAR Realtor 2012 and 2011 as seen in Texas Monthly
Platinum Top 50 Award Winner 2011

Texas Law requires all Real Estate Licensees to give the following information about brokerage services: Please click or cut and paste this URL into your browser Http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-K.pdf
Hello more info i just found out i have a credit score of 547 and i herd of this USDA loan can that still work with getting a home??
Hi Mariah,

Your first step is to get pre-approved for a no money down VA mortgage. This will determine how much you can afford which will help you narrow down your search. One bit of advice, you and your husband need to decide how much you're comfortable paying every month for your mortgage. I start with that number and figure out what purchase price will keep at or under that amount instead of pre-approving you for a maximum loan amount. This way you don't end up house rich and cash poor.

John Burke
Senior Mortgage Banker
ENG Lending
(877)228-9069
Mrs. Watkins, I am retired military with 14 years experience in real estate. The best thing for you and your husband to do is sit down with me and we can discuss the entire home buying process. This will give you the pros and cons of buying versus renting.

Your husband qualifies for a VA loan, which means no down payment, so you can purchase a home basically for the same amount that you would be paying rent.

Visit my website for more information on my services.

Call me at 210-722-2725.

Roland Gonzales
210-722-2725
RolandG@gvtc.com
Hello Mariah,

Yes, I also agree with the other agents' responses. Calling a lender in advance is good advice. They will make sure that you can qualify for a mortgage loan. You can do this over the phone or online. A loan officer that I recommend is Tracey Radigan at Patriot Bank here in San Antonio. Her direct line is 210-863-0751. I have worked with her for years because she really just enjoys "helping people get a home", she's not in it just for the money! After finding out how much you can afford in a new home, then I recommend that you hire a Realtor to assist you. You may visit their websites to find out more about the individual Realtors, their experience and such. I highly recommend that you seek out an Accredited Buyer Representative with the ABR designation. They have additional training to assist buyers, especially first time homebuyers such as yourself!

Good luck, and please feel free to contact me for assistance! Buying a home is exciting!

Amanda P. Herring
Realtor, Broker, ABR
(210) 771-8608
Mariah

I agree with Leah that you should contact a couple of Realtors and see which one fits your needs the best.

I would add though that you really need to get preapproved for a loan before even starting your home searching process as it really is the first step. If you don't have a lender in mind, I have a great referral network and I would love to refer a lender that works great with military personnel as I myself is retired Air Force of 22 years. It truly is important that you work with a lender and a Realtor who understands military/veteran benefits as there are many and you need to explore all your options before making any decisions.

Feel free to call me and ask me any questions as I work with numerous military personnel as they are most of my business as not am I retired Air Force, but I have lived in San Antonio for 17 years and am very familiar with the Texas Veteran Benefits as well.

Thank you for your Service to you and your husband and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Respectfully,

Terri Saari, Realtor®
Certified Relocation Specialist
Retired United States Air Force
Kimberly Howell Properties
210-887-3477 Cell
210-493-6888 Office
210-493-7002 Fax
http://www.WelcomeHomeToSA.com
Platinum Top 50 Award Winner 2011

Dear Mrs. Watkins,

You're going to get a lot of responses to your question, most of which are basically going to say CALL ME I'm the best Realtor in San Antonio.

My advice as a licensed Real Estate Broker (not a salesperson, like most of the people who typically respond to these posts), is to call 2-3 of those who you are most attracted to (based on their responses here) and decide who you feel is the best fit for you.

Note: Realtors are like shoes - one size does not fit all.

Here are some telling questions that I think you should ask any Realtor before working with them:
1. Are you a Broker or a salesperson working under a Broker?
2. Do you work full time as a Realtor, or do you have any other job?
3. Are you usually available to show homes during the day, after hours and on weekends?

Also, for huge potential savings when you have a VA loan entitlement I suggest that you check out:
http://www.MilitaryBenefitsGroup.com

I welcome you call, and if you do contact me, I promise to treat you with great care, and as a top priority.

Leah McNamara GRI BPOR
Managing Broker
Best Practices Realty
Direct: (210) 745-1411
email: Broker@BestPracticesRealty.com
Web Reference: http://www.BestPracticesRealty.com
Mariah, well let's call my lender she works late, she's awesome! Call me anytime, I work late as well. Thanks for reading.

Susan Casas
210-835-6696
One possibility is to talk to the Navy Federal Credit Union; you don't have to be in the Navy:
If there isn't an office there, (There might be), then you can look on-line.

And thanks for serving.

Good luck and may God bless
You need a great Realtor and a great lender to help you through the process. I love working with first time buyers. Call me and let's get you in a home!