Home Buying in Kentucky>Question Details

snakeeaterss…, Home Buyer in Kentucky

Can we contact selling agent?

Asked by snakeeaterssrs, Kentucky Fri Oct 26, 2012

I'm so frustrated. we made an offer on a forclosure, it was accepted, the appraisal has been done. Freddie Mac has the repair list. We are due to close in just over a week, we also have a repair addendum they need to discuss with us prior to closing. Our agent NEVER seems to know whats going on. Can we contact the selling agent just to see how things are going?

Answers

5
You can but shouldn't.

Your agent represents you.

I'd suggest, instead, that you contact your agent's broker. Explain the situation, your frustration, and your concerns.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
As usual, Don Tepper has it right. If your agent isn't responsive, ask your agent's Broker to intervene. The Broker bears the responsibility for quality of service. Tell him or her what you want, and watcyh it happen.

Doc Stephens, REALTOR
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 26, 2012
The seller's agent owes you no allegiance. They work for the seller, and not for you, so anything they might have to say has to be filtered through the "they work for someone else" filter.

That being said, I agree with Don Tepper... I often do, his advice is spot-on (thumbs-up from me). I'm sure that your agent has been meeting the same frustration in calling the listing agent. There may not be any additional information TO know... but if you think your agent hasn't been working hard enough to get you those answers... contact his/her managing broker, and see if you can stoke the coals a little.

Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
I sort of concur with the below, however, I am very surprised that the Seller accepted what you describe as a repair list contingency. All of the foreclosures I have dealt with allow the Buyer an "out " due to repairs(with or sometimes without their good faith money) but rarely do they agree to do repairs, because they are selling "as is". That being said I would talk to the broker and see what can be found out.
I had a foreclosure in May that had an accepted offer due to close in 30 days. The title search revealed an unreleased lein from 1998 from a bank that is no longer in business. They pulled the property from market cancelled contract and then obtained a release. Just relisted 10-15-12
Snakeeaterssrs,
I agree with both of my colleagues, before taking matters into your own hands, contact the managing broker and express both your needs and frustrations to them. It is their job to supervise the agents under them and unless they know of a problem, they can't fix it.
If the managing broker is just as helpless as the agent, then at this stage of your transaction I guess it wouldn't hurt. If the listing agent however gets a call from the managing broker, if they are the source of the problem, chances are you'll get a better response via this route then calling on your own.