our_first_ho…, Home Buyer in 02452

Can we change our realtor?

Asked by our_first_home, 02452 Mon Mar 7, 2011

We saw about 10 houses with this realtor, over 2 weekends, although we have been in communication for about 4 months. We have not signed any agreement, however we did use his company website which is for free access, not sure if there are any obligations with using the website. We think that he could have helped us more with information about the area. Being first time buyers, we needed someone to give us all info as possible, not just answer our questions, since we didn't always know what questions to ask.

If we still buy a house that we looked with him, would that be an issue? Please advice. Thanks a lot for your advice!

Answers

9
Yuan Li’s answer
Hi there,

I am sorry that your broker did not work out well for you. Please check out my team website: http://www.recommendedlocalrealtors.com/page/for-buyers

Based on your description, we should be able to meet your needs if provided an opportunity to help you.

Without a contract, you are not bound to any realtor/brokers. And the same here, we do not try to bind buyers with contracts. We will do our best and the decision is always in your hand.

Yuan's Team Realty
Hello, no you do not have to continue to use your current realtor if you have not signed an agreement with him. Realtors and Agents provide information on-line that allows buyers to educate them on the the homes for sale. It doesn't educate a buyer on the home buying process nor does it build a working relationship. That is built on face to face meetings, showing properties, making recomendations and listening to what your needs are.

Just because he showed you a house does NOT mean you have to make an offer with him. You have the right to have Buyer Representation and since you did not sign a buyer agency agreement with him, you do NOT have to use him for this house or any others.

I hope this helps. If you have real estate questions, feel free to call me at 617-448-7894.
Jimmy:

You should be expressing these concerns with your broker. Most of my clients don't search home through my website and frankly I really don't care where they found the homes. My job is to help them identify issues with the home, negotiate on their behalf, and then make the transaction as smooth as possible. Best
If you buy a home that he showed you, it is decent and common courtesy to place an offer with that Realtor. He did not ask you to sign a contract, but he could have stopped you at the door and asked you to sign one for that home only. You were happy to use to him to look at homes, but another agent has stolen you away ! Find one buyer's agent you like and stick with that person. Never put an offer in with the listing agent unless you are in a bidding war. I don't like to do a dual agency unless I know that they are both getting a good deal.
The time setting up showings and the accompanied open houses and gas is worth consideration from you. All agents are different. In Massachusetts you may have to pay him a commission anyway. Ask your new realtor to give him a referral fee if you buy a home he has shown you. This is always an acceptible soultion
Good luck in your search.
If you buy a house that this agent showed you it could become an issue. But not an issue that the consumer should concern themselves with.

If you've moved on to the next Realtor, just let them know that you saw it with another agent, and let them handle the 'behind the scenes' machinations. It's possible they may have to offer a showing-fee, or share a portion of their commission with the original showing agent. But your new agent can work that out.

As the consumer, you have the right to work with whomever you want.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
I am the person who originally posted this question. I agree that we should have made this decision earlier than this. The fact is that just last weekend during our tours, we met a few people (seller agent etc) who gave us free advice about things we should consider, facts about the area, builders etc. which BTW were completely unrelated to the property they were marketing. And we realized that being first time home buyers, we perhaps don't know all the questions/variables that we should be considering. Overall we felt that if others are giving us 'free advice' without asking for real benefit for them, we should at least expect that information from our own agent.

We actually told our agent that we want to work with someone else and thanked him for all his work. He responded saying that in accordance with MLS rules, if we were to decide buying a property that he showed us (which we actually found it on the website ourselves, he went with us into the open house), then he is eligible for the commission. But we didn't really sign anything with him so how would that work?
Jimmyjet;
I'm not a lawyer - but with no written agreement you're free to do as you please.
.
However it would have taken me 1 day and 2 houses to decide that the agent could have been more helpful. If you "used" the agent for over 2 weekends you may want to consider offering the carrot that you dangled.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
Since you state "We think that he could have helped us more with information about the area.", keep in mind that real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods--therefore area research should really be done on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached--consider researching online, visit in person more than once, etc. If you have no signed agreement, you are free to work with whatever agent you wish; however do consider having a discussion with your agent and express all your concerns, it appears that poor communication may be taking place and that is easily rectifiable.
There is the issue of procuring cause that the agent would be owed a commission if he or she were the one who took you to the home an made an offer on your behalf. Not having a signed agreement with the agent makes them basically a volunteer not a good situation for the agent since there is not agreement in writing to bind them to you and vice versa,
Web Reference: http://dmdrealtydfw.com