Home Buying in Nyack>Question Details

Jamie22, Home Buyer in Buffalo, NY

Can we change brokers after seeing a house?

Asked by Jamie22, Buffalo, NY Sun Sep 22, 2013

We have seen several houses through several brokers--we have been looking for a while and have yet to establish a relationship with any broker, because no one so far has seemed very proactive or honestly, that interested. Mostly it's unlock the door and text on their phone while we wander around. A house we saw previously--2 times--just had a price reduction, and we are re-thinking about the possibility of making an offer. However, the broker who showed it to us twice (not the listing broker) is clearly not someone who would advocate for us, or someone we would trust to work out the details in our favor. I've had friends recommend some real go-getting brokers, can I bring someone else in to show us the house again and make an offer? Because frankly, if we're stuck with the person who showed us the house, we'll probably not even bother making an offer, we trust her that little. (We've caught several examples of misinformation from her.)

Answers

7
No agent owns any buyer unless you signed a contract and I mean a contract not a disclosure, further more, sometimes it takes time for buyers to establish a relationship with an agent so I suggest you don't bounce around from agent to agent. When you finally decide to work with an agent you should make sure that you sign a disclosure with them and they should represent you as a buyers agent so that they work on your behalf, if you go with the listing agent they will not be working on your behalf, a listing agent job is to get the most money for the home owner so be careful when working with a listing agent.

Thanks Felix
917-692-7702
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
Jamie,

Your story is a story heard too often in the Real Estate Profession. The agents below have provided very useful and hopefully, helpful information to you. One additional comment before I add my thought/suggestion - your response to the one agent is (in my reading of the answer) very accurate. You are our business and our income.

A couple of thoughts: (1) Even if a lawyer is not required in your area to complete the real estate transaction, you might want to consider retaining one for the following reasons - [a] a lawyer can present your offer to the seller/seller's agent and represent your interests [b] if there were to be an "exclusive buyer representative agreement" (you said NO, so this is hypothetical), the lawyer can seek to void the agreement.

Good luck and best wishes for success in your search for your next home. If you want, I am available to discuss your situation on a more confidential basis - my contact information is on my website - http://GeorgeC21.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 23, 2013
Dear Jamie,

Your question really interested me. If you did not sign an exclusive buyer's contract, you can work with any agent. However, if you did, the contract has an expiration date. If you are bouncing from agent to agent, then you need to ask yourself why you are not establishing a relationship. If the agent seems uninterested, or not knowledgeable, then do not use them a second time. How are you selecting the agents? You might want to consider speaking to the manager or owner of the agency, explaining your experiences, and asking for her or him to set you up with an agent.

Janet
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 23, 2013
Hello Jamie

It sounds like you have not met the right agent yet. As long as you did not sign a buyers agent agreement with any broker or agent, you are free to change agents. I do suggest you find an agent you like and trust and have that agent negotiate and advocate for you during the purchase process. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Good luck

Maureen McEnroe
Licensed Real Estate Broker
Prudential Joyce Realty
914-588-1873
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
Jamie,

Purchasing a home is about you. Bringing you to a house does not constitute a "meeting of the minds," the criteria for earning a commission.

Please utilize someone you feel you can trust to work in your best interest.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
You have a good point that most of the realtors did not seem professional.in addition it does not seem that you signed any paperwork or agency type of agreement so I would still consider you a free agent to work with whomever you want. Best of luck, Allan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
We didn't sign anything, and the broker didn't "find" us the house, we found it and called and asked her to show it to us because she'd shown us another house recently. She seems more like a "hobby" real estate broker than a pro and I would not trust her to work out an offer for us.
Flag Sun Sep 22, 2013
I am just kind of curious as to why you were looking for "a while" yet didn't establish any relationship with an agent?

Why didn't you let your friends recommend those "real go getters" right from the start in stead of floating around with a variety of brokers??

You used this agent twice to see a house , and now decided she isn't the right one for you.
I'm sorry, but I think it would have been better had you come to that conclusion before taking up her time, ......and now you want to move to yet another agent to possibly make the offer.

You're not even going to bother making an offer " if you're stuck" with her?
Doesn't sound like you're that "into" the house......and truthfully, that should be your priority.

I suggest you speak with her Broker, who can work with her, and you, to make sure you're being represented properly should you decide to proceed with an offer for this particular house.

If you don't love it enough, then move on, but it would behoove you to establish a relationship with an agent .
Maybe this agent, and the others you used, weren't as attentive to you because they knew they didn't have your loyalty.

Best wishes...........
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 22, 2013
I think you, like the agent, are really concerned with the agent's needs rather than the client's needs. Which is exactly the problem we've run into here over and over, and something that NEVER happened to us in our multiple previous purchases (all in Manhattan). Your response is typical of what we've found here, which seems to forget that THE BUYER IS THE "CUSTOMER" and it behooves the agent to behave that way, rather than questioning/criticizing the buyer or pushing them towards actions that suit the agent rather than the buyer. Thanks for the response, I'll make sure your company is also crossed off my list!
Flag Mon Sep 23, 2013