Home Buying in Ohio>Question Details

Jen, Home Buyer in Cincinnati, OH

Can we Ditch Agent who showed us House we want to buy?

Asked by Jen, Cincinnati, OH Tue Feb 17, 2009

We are home shopping in Ohio. We worked with an agent showing us the houses we picked out online. We founda HUD house that we would like to buy. Our agent is not HUD-authorized and doesn't know a thing about HUD. He asks some people in his office and has actually given me wrong information. I am ready to make an offer and want to move quickly during the owner-occupant phase of the HUD sale. I have only signed his guide to relationships pamphlet, which does not commit me to him as an agent. I would like to find a HUD realtor with experience as we don't know what we are doing. Since he showed me the house, do I have to use him, or can I ditch him?

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Ohio

Answers

6
Procuring cause is a little more complicated than "who first showed you the home".

It has to do with an unbroken chain of events that lead to the sale of the property. Since you do not have confidence in this agent, and he has already given you wrong information, you can choose to "break the chain", by letting him know that his services are no longer needed, and finding and hiring a new agent.

If you feel generous, you might ask your new agent to agree to throw a "showing fee" (maybe $500) at the old agent, but other than that, since you have not signed an exclusive buyer's agreement, and he's given you wrong information... I would think that you are allowed to use the agent you want.

That being said, it's possible that this first agent will try to take it to mediation, and make a claim on part of the commission, but that's all "behind the scenes" stuff between the listing agency and the first agent's agency, and shouldn't impact your decision to change agents.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Jen:

You are welcome to work with any HUD approved agent. Visit HUD's site at Hud.gov to find one. Most brokers are on the list....
Jen the broker I work with is HUD registered. If you need help let me know.
Web Reference: http://www.Find1Home.com
Jen,Im licensed in the State Of Ohio.I see its 1 of 8 and all bids due today,let me know,if I can help you guys.

TJroberts@remax.net
Web Reference: http://tjroberts.remax.com
Jen,since he is not authorized,to bid for you,etc...no and your right about bidding before it gets to all bidders.keep me posted.

Regards;

TJ
you can probably get another agent to make the offer and do the closing,but since the first agent showed you the house,Agent 1 can claim "procuring cause" and would be entitled to part of the commission.