Home Buying in SoMa>Question Details

Gina415, Home Buyer in SoMa, San Francisco,...

Can someone tell me if I can pick the parking space I like before close of escrow at Infinity? Has it already been assigned/deeded to each unit?

Asked by Gina415, SoMa, San Francisco, CA Thu Nov 19, 2009

Thank you!

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in SoMa

Answers

9
Mark is correct and has presented the best answer here.

Nothing is set in stone. It depends on a multitude of factors, and as with most issues in real estate it is up for negotiation.

Depending on the car you're driving, you may be in a position in which your vehicle is worth 25 to 30% of your residence, so I would stick to your guns on this issue, and also keep in mind that when it comes time to sell your condo, the next owner will also have the the same concern.

There's nothing wrong with walking away from the transaction, and it is most certainly a material issue of purchasing in the Infinity.

Make sure you're happy with the terms, and do not settle. This is not the market to do so, but as others have suggested make sure your agent is also doing his job to make sure you're interests and preferences are properly and strongly represented.

All of the agents who have responded to this thread are well equipped to assist you in this matter, so I encourage you to give me a call or speak with one of the agents below, if you're still in doubt. A second opinion, is never a bad idea and speaking to a carring and professional agent is always free of charge!

Eric
ericmabrams@gmail.com
510.332.6314
CA Broker
Highland Partners
r01862927
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 27, 2009
Hello Gina

Yes, parking can be requested to be changed as a part of your offer if the parking space is particularly undesirable. They can say yes or no depending on their mood that week :-) and your offer. They do not like to change it for obvious reasons but nothing is written in stone.

I have represented over 50 buyers (greater than 10%) of all sales at the building and have seen both scenarios happen.
Mark
Web Reference: http://www.markchoey.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 26, 2009
Gina,
It is hard to say for sure but it could be that those folks with great parking spots bought very early on (a year ago or even earlier). It could also be that the most expensive units were preassigned with preferred parking spots. I know that there are a significant number of high end cars throughout the garage on all levels. In any event, ask the sales office if it is possible to have your space reassigned prior to closing and see what they say. Welcome to the Infinity! I hope to meet you at an Infinity event soon.
Regards-

Patrick Lowell, Realtor, CRS
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 25, 2009
It's possible, but difficult. If you end up with a spot you don't like, just rent your spot out and I'll get you a better one to rent.

I've sold 40+ units at the Infinity, and have a lot of connections. We'll get you the spot that's right for you.

Paul Hwang
Your Infintiy Expert
Skybox Realty
415.216.8746
Web Reference: http://www.paulhwang.com
Thank you all for your reply! I noticed that most high-end luxury and sports cars have the best and the most spacious parking spots. Is that a coincidence that it just happened the bigger, more convenient spots were deeded to these cars?
Hi Gina,
I am a homeowner at the Infinity.
The parking assignments are already completed.
There are very few units left so it is unlikely that any changes will be possible although it certainly cannot hurt to ask. In the event that you are not already working with a Realtor, I will be happy to help you with any Infinity-specific information. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

All the best-

Patrick Lowell, Realtor, CRS
http://www.PatrickLowell.com
Patrick@PatrickLowell.com
Hello Gina and thanks for your question.

Typically, when creating a common interest development or homeowners association in the City and County of San Francisco, the developer must provide to the city planning department a complete map showing the location of each parking space, storage unit, and separate amenity assigned to any home within the community. This map is necessary to obtain important building approvals from the city officials. The parking and storage maps that are approved for each homeowners association becomes a part of the governing documents of the Association and are then noted on the "deed" given to the homeowner at purchase.

Occasionally, developers will play with the parking assignments, but they are limited as to what they can do because the original parking map will be enforced by all parties--developer, city and state, if necessary. When an reassignment is made, it is often with the understanding that the parking spaces will revert back upon the sale or vacancy of any of the affected units--thus, the parking reassignment is not permanent, but made to accommodate the needs of one of the owners.

As Michael noted below, at this point, you're unlikely to obtain a parking space reassignment that can be made permanent through the developer. Instead, you might consider working directly with the owner of the space where you might like to park your car. I've known of situations where two owners agree to swap spaces for a limited time, and the disadvantaged parking space holder agrees to "pay" for the premium space each month. These agreements are separate and made between homeowners and not coordinated by the developer or the homeowners association.

Good luck!!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
Email: GraceAreaProRealty@att.net
Call Leo or Andre and ask them to ask the Developer! I am surprised your agent did not tell you to do that.
Sally
Hi Gina,

The parking space is already chosen and assigned to the unit. They have made exceptions in the past, but with so few units left to sell they are unlikely to move it. Never hurts to ask though.