Greg Northrup, Home Buyer in Charleston, SC

Can someone tell me about market conditions in West Oak Forest?

Asked by Greg Northrup, Charleston, SC Sun Jul 22, 2012

I know that Avondale and Ashley Forest are kind of hot right now. What is the situation in West Oak Forest? I know there are a lot of block houses in the neighborhood. Are most of the houses rentals?

Answers

4
Hi Greg,

it's been exactly a year since you asked this question. A lot has changed in a year, including the market conditions in West Oak Forest. Would you like an up to date sales history for the neighborhood?

Talk soon,

Rebecca Kroseberg
Carolina One
843.901.8659
rebecca@CharlestonLifestyleGuide.com
I think most of the houses in West Oak Forest are still owner-occupied. Prices of homes in that community are starting to rise. You are correct. The Avondale & Ashley Forest communities are VERY hot and my feeling that it is just a matter of time before West Oak Forest experiences a similar renaissance. Homes in that community are generally a little larger than in both Avondale and Ashley Forest. It is a little less convenient to all the activity, but I think that may actually be a good thing. You can walk to St. Andrews Center and Avondale, but people are not parking in your yard and making noise at night.

Call me if I can provide statistics on sales activity or answer any specific questions you may have. While I do not live in West Oak Forest, I live in the general area.
Many people who work downtown buy in West Oak Forest. I have sold homes to several people who work at MUSC. Great area!
West Oak Forest is a very convenient area of West Ashley. It would be my guess that 65-75% are owner occupied with the balance rentals. As well as block houses, there are lots of brick homes there.It is my feeling that this neighborhood is under-valued and increase in value as more people choose the West Ashley area. Right now, inventories are very low, as are interest rates so naturally this area will become more & more in demand. Houses just across the highway in Parkwood Estates average $200K-$250K, and those in Farmfield a little more. Those in Harrison Acres (back behind K-Mart & IHOP) bring prices between $250K-$400K.
For investment purposes, choosing a well-priced home in good condition in West Oak Forest would be a good choice.