1st Buyer Sa…, Home Buyer in Saratoga Springs, NY

Can someone tell me about Geyser Crest, Saratoga Springs, NY?

Asked by 1st Buyer Saratoga Springs, Saratoga Springs, NY Fri Jul 25, 2008

I know that it is an older neighborhood with almost identical houses and that there are some rental units. But is it safe? What's the percentage of owner occupied vs. rentals? Would it make sense to buy there to sell in about 5 years? Is it a good place to raise a young family? Is 200K too much for a unit in excellent condition? Please let me know. Thanks!!

Answers

9
I have lived in Geyser Crest for 22 years. My wife and I have raised our children here and it could not have been a more family friendly and safe neighborhood. Unlike many locations in the core of any city or in many "upscale neighborhoods" we experience no crime issues, no vandalism issues and people regularly walk the dog and jog without fear. The neighborhood is a mix of about seven styles of houses and has a treed rolling hill setting . That said the construction here is typical of the period and is in not substandard. Most homes here have hardwood throughout and many such as mine have new modern windows and siding as well as updated kitchens and baths. This neighborhood is about 40 years old and gets a bum rap because there are almost no other such developments in Saratoga Springs. In the seventies Saratoga Springs was largely a boarded up has been resort city with a 4 week out of the year race track and Geyser Crest represented the point at which the city began to look toward the future and began attracting middle class working families. The next real developing didn't come until the late eighties and by then home styles had changed a bit. I am tired of people who have not lived here passing judgement about that which they have real knowledge. This is a great neighborhood and an investment here is no different than any other neighborhood, homes will appreciate or depreciate with economic conditions and the upkeep of the home. Homes here have gone for as much as 243 for the larger 4 bedroom colonials and their some that are worth much more and worth every dime in my opinion. A 4 bedroom home here is little different than a 4 bedroom home of the same era elsewhere in zip code 12866.
Still a great neighborhood. $200 k may be a bit high. Make sure you do comps. Perfect for a family. The house construction may leave a bit to be desired. Some houses have aluminum wiring which may become faulty.

Dan
House Detective
http://www.housedetectiveinc.net
if you are looking to resell... new construction may be a better investment, because we are talking about resales in 5 years everything else will be older and needing updates to be in the market... a new building today will still be desireable in 5 years...consider a condo. look at http://www.lancaster-place.com on hutchins road just off Rowland St in the geyser crest area... 15 of 20 available, but going quick...call me if you would like to see 518 469-6747
The price of the home depends totally on what the home is and what it has to offer. If you are currently not working with a realtor I would be happy to show you homes available with statistics on what the best price to pay would be. I can be reached via email at cquade@nycap.rr.com or phone at 518-376-2965.
Geyser Crest is about 30 years old and the homes show it. Should be able to get something very reasonable there, but check the neighboring properties for upkeep of their properties first. It is definitely a safe neighborhood though and close to Saratoga Springs. You could also look in the Wilton, Lake Elizabeth area where homes are about 20 to 25 years old and the developments are in generally better shape.
Geyser Crest would be a very good neighborhood to consider if you want to live close to down town Saratoga and need to be under $200,000. The value is still there and as a proximatey location it is very convenient to many activities and recreation as well as schools. There are many rentals in Geyser crest. I don't know the percentage, but a guess would be about 15%. It is a good location and rental alternative for the navy which their base is nearby. There are many young families in Geyser Crest as well as some older families as the neighborhood has matured. I think no matter where you buy in Saratoga your investment is pretty safe in the next 5 years. If you would like more comprehensive information about this area or others, you can visit my website at http://www.Welcome2Saratoga.com or email me at cquade@nycap.rr.com. Best of luck! Cindy Quade, Signature Homes Realty
You asked if Geyser Crest is safe, and I would definitely consider it so. Crime is not common
there whatsoever.
It is a great place to raise a family, especially because of the added benefit of living within the
Saratoga Springs school district, which is excellent! I sold a house in Geyser Crest last year to
a young couple and they decided early in our search for their first home that this is the neighborhood
they'd want to live in. We noticed that some streets are more run-down than others, and obviously
some houses were the same way, but a 3 bedroom 1360 square foot raised ranch in excellent condition was running about $190,000 and it was apparent that many sellers were willing to go less than that.
We were able to negotiate $11000 less than the asking price, and my clients were more than pleased with
the outcome. They bought a home on Quevic Dr., where alot of the homes have large backyards with woods behind them. They plan to sell in 5 years.
I could find the percentage of owner occupied vs. rentals for you - you can email me at rachelautumn@yahoo.com to remind me! You can also search the MLS through my website,
and I've listed the URL below. Good Luck!

Rachel A Kopp
Keller Williams Realty, The Kelleher Grp.
http://rachelkopp.yourkwagent.com
As Laurie said the Geyser Crest Community remains a solid investment for first time home buyers, snow birds and downsizers. Historically it has been a terrific community for young families. Also, believe it or not many original owners are still there. Location wise it is 5 -10 minutes to downtown Saratoga Springs and 5 minutes to Milton town center where there are also grocery, hardware and other shopping destinations. It is also very close to the Spa State Park, Geyser Road baseball and soccer fields, and the Milton town Park.
Home styles in the Crest are ranches, Ashley ranches, Raised ranches, Executive raised ranches and a few colonials. Almost all of the homes were built with hardwood floors throughout all areas except kitchens and baths. Another attractive feature of this community is the lot sizes. The older part of the subdivision boasts lots of 1/2 to 1/3 acre. Now as a 35 year old community landscaping trees and shrubs have matured to provide privacy between neighbors. As owners have come and gone many improvements and upgrades have given these homes not only a more energy efficient product, but a more 21st century feel to the interiors. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions you may have.
Kathleen Kleinhans Accredited Buyer's Representative
Associate Broker
Realty USA/The Scott Varley Group
469 - 6201
Web Reference: http://www.scottvarley.com
It seems that Geyser Crest was the hot property 30 years ago when they were built and remains to be hot today. While there are many rental units (I do not know the breakdown of owner occupied vs. rental at this moment) but a home in excellent condition under $200,000 will sell in this market. Geyser Crest covers two school districts, Saratoga and Ballston Spa. There are some larger homes in there that are priced over $200k, but a good portion are under $200k. Historically, Geyser Crest is a sound investment for a first-time home buyer.