Home Buying in Oakland>Question Details

UWSNYC, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Can someone tell me a little bit about Oakland NJ? Commute, schools, neighboorhoods etc? What to expect from the town etc? Thanks so much.

Asked by UWSNYC, New York, NY Tue Jan 18, 2011

Answers

4
The schools are awesome, The community is a great place to raise kids and there is a great program at the rec center
Hello Home Buyer in New York: I've shown many homes in the Bergen County town of Oakland over my 26 years in the business. They have lovely homes in that area, and just like other Bergen County towns offer wonderful community services and great schools. My collegues have indicated some of Oaklands amenities in their answers. Oakland is a very desireable town.

The only thing I would keep my eye on is the homes located in flood zones. Oakland has a few flood zones so make sure you are OK with that fact if you find a home that happens to be in one of them as your mortgage company will require flood insurance. The information on flood zones is right in the listing so any agent will be able to advise you if the home is in a flood area or not & your agent can let you know the zone rating as it may be a 100 year zone. Other than that issue, I think Oakland is a super place for you and your family.

Good luck....
Carolynn Monaco
I grew up in oakland and my parents & cousins still live there and it is a great town. There are many great homes in oakland that are situated in beautiful neighborhoods surrounded by manicured lawns and large trees. There are also luxury townhomes located in the ramapo river reserve. There are many options for public schools however I cannot personally comment on them because I went to private elementary at st elizabeth in wyckoff and don bosco prep high school in ramsey. Peter touched on many of the main highways except for rt 208 which runs through franklin lakes hawthorne fairlawn and paramus to rt 4 which leads to nyc. Oakland is also close to the ny thruway via rt 202..a road that winds through the ramapo mountains. There is plenty of great shopping located around oakland. Garden state plaza paramus park and palisades malls are all 20 mins away. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you and good luck in your search.
Web Reference: http://www.njhomesbydan.com
Oakland is a fine town Its the far west side of Bergen county but since rtes 287,208 and 202 straddle the town its pretty easy to get anywhere you want to go. Commuting is ok too. Express buses to NYC are available and its easy reach to the transport hubs on Rte 17 in Ramsey and on Rte 23 in Wayne.
Houses vary in price from a little over $300,000 to well over $1 million and many have nice size lots - more than most Bergen county towns.
School system is fine. The town is a member of the 3 town Ramapo Regional High school group ( the other 2 towns are Wyckoff and Franklin Lakes) Theoretically you can send your child to either Ramapo or Indian Hills High Schools but Indian Hills is actually right on the border of Oakland and Franklin Lakes so that is the logical choice. Both schools score very highly in test scores.
Town is one of the most open and rural of the Bergen county towns which attracts a lot of residents.