James, Home Buyer in 07757

Can someone suggest a good home inspector for home in monmouth county.What kind of guarantee is provided?

Asked by James, 07757 Tue Mar 4, 2008

Can someone suggest a good home inspector for home in monmouth county.What kind of guarantee is provided
by the home inspector about the home, how much tdo they charge ?

J

Answers

10
I have often recomended Pete Aiello of InspectTech, recently merged with LandAmerica. Pete has been rated their #1 inspector in the United States several years, based solely on the company's customer satisfaction surveys. He spends a long time on each property educating the buyer about the property and systems, what to watch, etc. He also points out trouble spots in a non-alarmist matter "You've got water here in the basement, but I saw outside that there is no splash pan under the leader - spend $7 at Home Depot, and you'll divert the water from the basement walls." I have also seen inspectors frighten the daylights out of buyers over simple things. Prices vary by the size of the home (# of zones, etc) Their number is 1-800-285-3001
Eastern is an excellent company. They give you a report on the spot with photos so there's no unnecessary hold ups. Bob Godwin is the inspector I've used in the past. He is thorough and effective. 1800-333-2783.
Pillar to Post is another excellent company. I don't have their number on me though.
You'll have to ask them about guarantees. Each company does it differently. Rates will be comparable and you should get the package deal--structure, termite and radon. Yes, we do have radon in Monmouth County. If you contact me through Trulia or my website I can give you more specifics regarding their pricing. I am not at my office now. I have a coupon for $25 off for Pillar to Post.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 5, 2008
Hi James,

Honestly, they guarantee pretty much nothing. They will give you a lot of great information about the home, but it's just that, information. The ultimate responsibility is yours. You could conceivably sue if a huge defect is missed out of negligence, but the bottom line is this rarely succeeds.

The charge is typically around $500.

I've had good results with Jim from the company below. He does a thorough inspection and uses the latest technology including fiber optic scopes for fireplaces. His website contains a PDF of a sample report so you can see what you will be getting.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 4, 2008
This thread is over 5 years old- I think James got the information he needed in 2008.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 7, 2013
You should contact Pillar to Post in Monmouth County. They do a great job- insured, professional, and they print the report for you at the time of the inspection. Ask for Bill- he did a great job, highly recommend!
James.....

I would suggest you ask your Realtor for a list of qualified inspectors in the area. Good luck.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
I always provide my clients a list of a few different inspectors, but which inspectors I place on the list may vary according to the type of property. Since you are in Oceanport, you could be looking at a condo in Bridgewater, a single family home in th 400K range, or a waterfront property at 2M. If there are CAFRA concerns, docks, etc., I recommend inspectors accordingly. These inspectors may have fees ranging from $700-$1000. Inspections for condos may be at the $300 range. A single family home of average size and price may carry inspection fees in the $400-$500 range.

As Marc indicated, there aren't really guarantees. Most agreements that you sign w/ the inspection compnaies limit their liabilities and exposure.

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group
Shrewsbury NJ
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Hi im a lic home inspector my company is all .phase home inspection -732-766-2175 I feel im a good inspector , ive been doing this for 10 years with a great following .you can find my company on few diff sites ,service magic, google, yahoo , phone book on line you can see some reviews i do on site reports ,7 days a week ...and my pricing is 300.00 full home inspection any questions you can call or e- mail mfrizziola@yahoo.com or call 732-766-2175
Hi James,
You should try to contact at least home inspectors that would cover the general area of the home you are purchasing. It's a good idea that the inspectors are members of ASHI, that's a good indicator that the inspector is a qualified professional. The home inpectors will generally inspector the interior and exterior of the property and depending on the size of the home could take an hour or more. If the home has a basement they may also lead a radon cannister for the radon test. They will also do an inspection to see if there is any termite damage or infestation. That overall could cost anywhere from $400.00-$500.00 but it's well worth it. And if you are available to go with the inspector, make it a point to be there. You will learn alot. Best of Luck to you. Lucy
I would call at least 3 different home inspectors and ask for credentials, also ask your realtor if you are working with one.