Calvin, Home Buyer in Oakland, CA

Can someone share their thoughts for families with small children in the Acacia subdivision in South Mountain? Is it safe and located in a good area?

Asked by Calvin, Oakland, CA Fri Jul 29, 2011

Answers

7
I would request a buyer's advisory from the realtor you are working with and do some research. This pamphlet will have websites to go to to check the ratings of the schools and crime statistics. If you are happy with what you find out, then it is time to move forward. If not, do the same level of research on another area.
Safe and located in a good area is an arbitrary opinion and not one that I know any agent would be comfortable answering.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2013
This seems to be a bait question, but just in case you are a serious buyer looking in the South Mountain area, I would tell you that South Mountain is a beautiful place. I am an avid hiker and so I am very attracted to living in areas that have places convenient to hike. As a Professional Realtor I obviously can not steer you away from any neighborhood or area. As advised, check with local police to find out crime statistics that you can not already find on the internet. There are some great deals to be had in this area, lots of great dining, and it is very centrally located for people who need to go down town or to the airport on a regular basis. Phoenix is a very large and diverse city. To me South Phoenix is not any different than neighborhoods in North, or West Phoenix. If you need help finding a home please feel free to call me. You can also visit my web site and search the MLS.
Calling the local police department is a good idea and you can check out various Crime Statistics Maps can at http://azrealestate-azhousesforsale.com/az-home-buyer-resour…
I'd check out the Crime Statistics websites, sex offender websites and school reports. They're easily found on the internet, and will give you valuable information in order to make your own decision.

Also, drive the neighborhood at different times of the day/night/weekends.

Neil Brooks
HomeSmart
How can anyone follow a post like Mike's? That said, you can call the Phoenix Police department and talk to the neighborhood services person for the area. They can give you real crime stats.
Since real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhood, if unfamiliar with the area, do visit the area more than once and at different times day; possibly chat with locals, etc.; as for any safety concerns and for accurate information, contact/visit the local authorities and ask all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand.
South Mountain? Are you kidding? That’s like living in South central LA surrounded by gangs, crime and 40 year old perverts wearing diapers dating 11 year olds. If you buy a property there make sure you join ADT security cuz you’re home will be broken into at least 3 times a week. Look across the street with those unemployed 31 year olds driving bicycles and guns in their back pockets.

Investor Mike