aishwariya.b…, Home Buyer in Aurora, CO

Can phone/cable lines beyond the backyard of the home be a negative selling feature?

Asked by aishwariya.bhavan, Aurora, CO Wed Sep 4, 2013

We're looking to buy a home under construction at Merdian, Parker. But there are Xcel phone/cable lines behind the home sites at the end of the community that face open space (Lone Tree). Is that something to be concerned about? Will it affect resale-ability of the house?

Answers

7
Darrick Gilliard’s answer
Hi Aishwariya!

Power cables... First this is a matter of preference. There has been many studies done around the magnetic/electrical energy, however there has not been any "real" confirmation either way. The nice thing about the power cables is the vacant land right behind you or near you...

If it were me... I would probably stay away from power cables as you are asking the question.. There will be others in the future when you goto sell.

Dear Aishwariya,
Power line sensitivity is a buyer personal preference. Some buyers accept them others will not buy a home if they are in the vicinity. There is no factual evidence that they can be harmful to one's health. The bottom is that fewer buyers will consider the home for purchase and therefore demand for the home is lower and therefore the price is often lower than the same home without power lines.

Larry Clarke
Aurora Association of Realtors, Director
303-521-7188
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 5, 2013
Thanks for the response and guidance. I guess we fall under the bucket where we would prefer not to be in close proximity to power lines.
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013
Hello Aishwariya,

The affect of power lines in resale ability really has to do with the buyer at that time. It's one of those things that will bother some people and others it will go unnoticed. Now if they are really loud, it does bring attention to it while a buyer is looking at your property.

I actually live in the Meridian, just on the other side of the new construction going on. The homes are beautiful. What I would say is that the resale of new homes can sometimes take a few years before you realize any equity. I can show you those equity ratios that have occurred over the last 10 years in the Meridian area.

If you have any additional questions, I know the area and the builders very well, so feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email/text.

Brian Smith
Team Meridian
(720) 490-1687
BrianSmith@TheMeridianTeam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 4, 2013
Aishwariya, i would agree. As you might have seen there is a lot of new home construction. I am not sure if you are working with an agent, but since it is no cost to you as a buyer, it might make sense to have an advocate for you while negotiating price and upgrades with a builder. Feel free to call me anytime at (720) 490-1687. Thanks!
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013
Thanks for the response and guidance. I just got verification that these are power lines indeed, and even though we really do like the community itself - this lot itself might not work out for us.
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013
Typically these are something to avoid. It is my experience that underwriters see them as negative and they will affect the resale value.
This is common in older neighborhoods.

Some buyers may not like it, but not too many serious home buyers will be turned off
by it.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Hi Aishwariya!

Ashwariya,

There has been research done about this and it is a point of controversy. It normally is a concern for most buyers and in some cases has been the determining factor not to purchase by some of my buyers when the home was perfect for them otherwise. You will have to decide. i would imagine that there would be a discount by the builder for this concern.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Hi Rob,
Yes.. this was the one thing we could not come to accept about the home. Everything else was near-perfect. Although the seller did have a discount on the lot, power lines this close to the backyard was a definite no-go for us.

Thanks for the response!
Aishwariya
Flag Thu Sep 5, 2013