Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Trulia New Y…, Other/Just Looking in New York

Can one take out a first time mortgage that is greater than the cost of the house and use the excess money to pay off other debt?

Asked by Trulia New York, New York Wed Mar 6, 2013

Answers

12
Javier Meneses’ answer
If we're talking about a purchase, the answer is no. Like Mark said, us lenders consider this to be negative equity. If the case is that you inhereted a home free and clear of any liens, and you decide after a while to take out a mortgage for the first time, and use the funds to pay off other debt, in this case you'll be allowed to as long as you qualify for the mortgage.

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
STERLING NATIONAL BANK
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
jmeneses@snb.com
(516) 606-9648
No that is not possible. That would give you negative equity and would be a very risky loan for any lender. There is no bank that would do that type of loan.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
If you have a lot of debt now, you may not qualify for a loan. Have you gotten a pre-approval yet?
Not to pay off debt. There are loans where you can finance repairs on a purchase. FHA 203k loans and Homestyle renovation loans allow you to finance repairs when you purchase a home.
Really? You're really asking that? The answer is no, but they will finance your purchase of the Brooklyn Bridge, which I will sell you.
NO. Bueyr beware of anyone who tells you ,you can do this.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
No you can't. Banks have never allowed buyers to take extra money out when buying a house to pay off personal debt.
Actually when I bought my first home years ago I had $5,000 debt on credit card. My lender made me add that debt on to mortgage. My mortgage was actually $5,000 more than I needed to borrow. But I still put 20% down and had liquid assets left and equity in the home.The bank wanted all my debt.
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
It's called mortgage fraud.
Coming from Trulia, that's a silly question.

Janet Nation, CBR
Sailing Home Realty
Direct: 646-321-9649
Office: 516-377-4760
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
http://www.jnationproperties.com
NO UNFORTUNATELY THE FIRST TIME MORTGAGE IS ONLY FOR THAT OF THE HOUSE AND YOU CANNOT TOUCH ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL DEBT

Brandon Sturman
Are you asking if the new mortgage is greater than the "cost" (meaning what you paid for it) or "cost" (meaning market value)? If the new mortgage is more than market value than you most likely won't find any lender willing to loan you more than your home is worth.