Frugal13, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

Can lender send statement of credit denial if buyer walks away for financial comfort?

Asked by Frugal13, Sacramento, CA Fri Jan 4, 2013

Sale was 2 weeks away from closing--lender had approved loan up to that point, yet I received a Statement of Credit Denial, Termination or Change stating that reason was "value or type of collateral not sufficient". Should I challenge this, and will it hurt me when I try to buy again?

Answers

3
Shane Milne’s answer
If a loan has already been approved, and then it is cancelled or denied, that notice is required to be sent out. No one except for that lender & you would know you were denied.

Further, the reason for the denial is not based on anything about you personally, it was because the property in question didn't have sufficient value or the type of property couldn't be approved. According to that notice, you could come back to that same lender and re-apply for a different property which qualifies, and assuming your personal situation hasn't changed for the worse you would likely be able to get the loan.

Shane Milne | Lending in all 50 states | NMLS #81195
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 4, 2013
You are welcome. Any loan that is approved and then not closed on, is a denial. It's a federal requirement to send that statement out. Don't take personal offense, just throw it in the trash and don't look back. Perhaps the lender did some looking into the property and found something they didn't like, but it has no ill effect on you being able to get a new mortgage from another lender.
Flag Fri Jan 4, 2013
I choose to walk away, so it shouldn't have been a denial, yet the notice implies that the lender denied (all was approved at the time I walked away). It's misleading, and that's my concern--it seems almost punitive for walking away.

I will check with the loan officer, but I wanted to know if it was something I should be really concerned about, or if it's SOP.
Thanks for your time.
Flag Fri Jan 4, 2013
It would not hurt you to challenge it, but depending on what the failure of the property was--to serve as sufficient collateral, it may not be worth challenging. Like if you have an FHA loan and the property had many "health and safety" issues, the property would not qualify. If the property did not appraise at contract value, your agent and the listing agent can check market comparables and if there is a good case to present--that the property does value out--then they should make that case to the appropriate person (appraiser or loan officer?).

More than one way to resolve some property/loan problems, just depends what it is.

Web Reference: http://www.kyleeroe.com
Shane gave you a great .answer. The issue seems to be the property. Perhaps it didn't appraise for the value needed to complete the loan as stated. Perhaps it was the type of property rather than the value.

Speak to the loan officer who was working with you. They will have more information and know if there is any adjustment you can make to the loan application to complete the purchase of that property or need to find another property. It doesn't sound like it was your personal qualification for a loan, just the property....but the loan officer knows best.