Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Home_buyer, Home Buyer in Edison, NJ

Can buyer change attorney 1 week before closing? Buyer found attorney misguided in process and buyer had to bear losses. Buyers frustrating experience

Asked by Home_buyer, Edison, NJ Sat Sep 8, 2012

Answers

8
Ps. The real question to ask is if it's really worth it to change atorneys ... Will it really change the outcome of anything? Will it delay the closing? Etc.? ... The ony way to really know that is to probably consult a couple of other atorneys.... Again, best of luck to you.
You've had your question answered by others. I'm not local to your area but the question compelled me to respond. You make absolutely no mention of a broker and I might conjecture you didn't use one. You also give no idea of what your Attorney did to misguide you and what the losses are that you've had to bear. My impressions is, there may be enough blame to go around especially if you didn't have a broker looking out for your interests in the real estate transaction. By all means, get another Attorney. Good luck to you.
Yes, you can change who represents you any time you want. However, realize that a different attorney cannot change any legally binding documents that have already been signed including the contract. My guess is that you chose the attorney based on him or her offering you the lowest fee rather than who would do the best job representing you.
If seeking a new attorney, I would advise you to seek someone that specializes in Real Estate law and has exstensive experience + a proven track record. ... Best of luck + congratulations on the purchase of your new home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
Should buyer notify the existing attorney (means fustrating one) for this change? Also can first attorney creates any hurdles and problem in closing? What are the safety measures for buyer?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
The buyer may choose another attorney; however the new attorney may request a new contract, thus slowing the process down a bit.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
Attorneys are should have their clients best intrects before his/her own.
Yes, the client can fried and go after any damages.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
I'm going to say yes because in our office a situation like that occured last month, the attorney was horrible and the buyer switched a few days before closing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012