Home Buying in Norristown>Question Details

Jessica Gilb…, Home Buyer in Norristown, PA

Can anyone tell me anything about The Mews at Valley Forge in Norristown? Is it a good community, safe, etc?

Asked by Jessica Gilbert, Norristown, PA Tue Aug 2, 2011

Hi Jessica,
I do have an original color brochure dated 11/93 on The Mews at Valley Forge built in 2 phases in 1993 & 1994. There were 4 model floorplans (3 Interior and 1 End Unit). The standards list and the options list is very interesting. You might find one with a finished loft option with the optional Bathroom. Remember, value is highest in finished square footage of living space. Some have attached Garages and others have detached Garages. As I mentioned previously, location is extremely important for Rear privacy and compass direction for sun exposure. This has a nice effect for morning brightness in your Kitchen and breakfast area and also a direct affect on utility bills (passive solar).
All the best, Jay
Web Reference: http://www.jaywojcik.com
Dear Jessica,
It is good you are asking questions and researching out a development/ area carefully. Believe it or not, some buyers do not. Always review the School Reports regarding School District so you are aware because the Reality and perception of a Public School District is important. A good Real Estate Broker or agent (Brokers or Assoc Brokers possess a higher license) can get you a complete history of the Development, like the Mews. History, not only selling track record but Construction problems and issues through 'word of mouth' and also Seller Concessions listed on sold transactions. In a development like "The Mews", location is also extremely important due to close proximity to Neighbors. Tyring to determine the current "fair market value" of a home is tricky in this market. When interviewing agents or Brokers, see how much specific knowledge they have about the Development, like how many original models and floorplans were built, which sell better. Also, check the tax base and Association fees (Plus the initial Capital Contribution fee) with other areas to see a comparison because all expenses add up monthly. These costs also determine how well your final choice will be as a residential investment. Lastly, the rental rates of homes rented in the development is important in making the decision to buy. They reflect the development in numerous significant ways. Btw, I live just 5 minutes from The Mews. Jay Wojcik, Assoc Broker/Appraiser/Notary (32 years experience) @Re/Max Excel Realty 610-650-8050 direct or 610-676-0051 Main/vm.
Web Reference: http://www.jaywojcik.com
That's correct Rob you can give them information on which school district the house is located in, just not information on the specifics of the schools themselves. I thought that came across, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Hi Jessica, Realtors are allowed to give information about which School district the house is located in.
I live near this property which is located in the Norristown School District. It is convinent to shopping
and major routes and businesses. I can send you information on these properties and other properties.
There are similar properties in different school diistricts that are just a few miles from this location. Let
me know if you would like information on these.
Rob Mahon
Hi Jessica,

It's always best gain these answers for yourself especially because Realtors are not permitted by law to give information on safety/crime, schools, etc. Here are a few suggestions that have worked very well for my clients.

Call the Police Station that services the community you are looking to purchase in and ask them about police reports/crime in that particular area.
Read the local paper or subscribe to one of the Patch.com sites. Norristown and/or Oaks Patch would probably cover that area.
Go into the neighborhood several times at different times of the day. In the morning, afternoons, evenings, late evenings and on the weekends. You should be able to get a good feel for the area.
Visit the neighbors and ask them about their opinions.

I hope this helps you and good luck. If you are in need of a buyer's agent, very important to have, feel free to contact me.