Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

Bee, Other/Just Looking in Philadelphia, PA

Can anyone recommend the type of carpet to put into a rental property. Person has 5 kids, don't want to put

Asked by Bee, Philadelphia, PA Wed Mar 26, 2008

anything expensive, and not sure if commercial is the way to go?

Answers

11
Mim Heisey’s answer
Bee,
There are several things to look at when you put carpet into a rental unit: 1)Cost, 2)wearability and 3)likelihood of needing to replace due to misuse by tenants. Keep in mind that tenants MIGHT give a different level of care and cleanliness to the unit you are renting to them than you expect.
Many experienced landlords choose a moderate grade of carpet (read less expensive) that requires minimal care, has a good wearability rating(nylon or similar fiber), and subtle pattern that will hide minor stains.
Hopefully your new tenants will take good care of it and it will look good for many years. However, if a future tenant misuses it, you won't feel so bad about replacing a less expensive floor covering.
Good luck. Hope that helps
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2008
I'd go commercial. Accept the fact that they'll pretty much tear it up. You want something that will stand up pretty well, and is affordable.

In any areas that you can, consider putting down tile. (Foyer, hallway, dining room, etc.) With any luck, when those tenants move out, all you'll have to do is clean the tile to get ready for the new tenants, or to sell.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2008
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I think that the right carpet can really improve the look of any room in any home. There are so many different colors and styles it is easy to find the right one for your home that will match perfectly. If I was you I would look for wholesale carpet to get a good deal! I hope this was helpful, best of luck! http://www.thedenverfloorclub.com/carpets/
Commercial carpet is great; cheap, durable and easy to replace, if necessary. Ceramic tile isn't bad, but some prospective tenants may be turned off. Laminate floors costs more, but who doesn't want hardwood floors (even if it's faux) and be willing to pay a little more rent (I've done it).
Web Reference: http://PhillyandBeyond.com
Hi Bee,

I am in 100% agreement with an inexpensive ceramic tile all the way! Neutral colors are great,. Be careful you don't go too light on the grout lines, light colors make it hard to keep clean. Go a bit darker.

You can accept pets and kids with tile. When the tenant leaves, their area rugs go with them! No mess, no smell and no headaches!

I have been buying single family rental homes of my own since 1996. When the carpet is finally shot, it goes out and we go with all ceramic tile.

Here in Florida we are fortunate that some of the older homes have terrazzo floors. If there is terrazzo under the carpet, better yet, minimal cost to buff them up to a beautiful shine. And all natural! No ceramic tile needed!

Cheaper utility costs- keeps the home cool in the summer!

As a landlord, make your life as streamlined as possible to avoid aggravations in the future! You don't want to be changing carpeting out every couple of years - it kills your cash flow! And it's a headache dealing with the tenant over the security deposit!

Best of luck to you,

Sandy Shores, Realtor
M & M Real Estate Inc
Residential & Investment
Brevard County
Florida's Space Coast
No Carpet! I own many rental properties, every chance i get, i put ceramic tile. Neutral colors are best. The tenant can supply their own area rugs of their choice. So so easy to deal with after they move out..Ceramic all the way
go to a convention
or the auto show
after the convention
there is a bunch of carpet
that they used for their displays
its barely used
and they don't want to haul it back
to the shop
give em 50 bucks

anyways

good luck
Just put in the cheapest builder grade beige carpet, and expect to keep the security deposit to replace it when the tenant is gone. What ever keeps your cost to a minimum is the way I'd go. When the tenant is gone next year, you can see if you need to replace it again.
Web Reference: http://www.ERASold4Sure.com
In a rental I usually use industrial outdoor/indoor carpet. Make sure that your tenants are not smokers. If the carpet is plastic or a fiber blend, you will get burns or melts. Photograph the carpet before move-in and make sure it is on the check list for your tenatns to sign (stating that the carpet is new!).
I would recommend a berber (loop). They are affordable and durable. Make sure you don't go too light on the color.
Hi, thank you two for your answers: I think I will go with commercial. This tenant is new and already a problem. I only need something that will last for a couple of years or long enough until her lease is up which is in one year.