Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

Jen, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Can anyone recommend an urban neighborhood w/houses around 200k?

Asked by Jen, Atlanta, GA Wed Jul 18, 2007

We are relocating from a progressive Seattle neighborhood where we can walk around the corner for a latte, a yoga class and decent sit down restaurants. We would like to find something similar in Atlanta(in a stand alone house). Any ideas? Thanks for all the wonderful responses so far. My husband will be working out of the airport & I will be either in Marietta or Norcross

Answers

19
Could you update us please?
I personally like Lakewood. As far as bang for the buck, it's a great area that is being revitalized.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 6, 2007
Marietta, Vinings, Smyrna, and even Dallas and Villa Rica would all make excellent choices. FInding a single family home under $200K in an "urban" area will be tough. Finding a great home in an area that you described will be easy in the Metro area. These areas all have small "cities" with sit down resturaunts, antique shops as well as malls. Marietta and Vinings are the most convenient.

I mention these cities because they are on the West side of the metro area and are relatively close to the Airport. I live in Gwinnett County (Norcross is in Gwinnett) and you are looking at least one hour to travel there, and you'd likely want to be in Duluth if you visit the area (which is just north of Norcross).

There's also a handful of communities scattered about with the whole "walk" thing in mind. You likely will be forced to drive everywhere (honestly) especially if you want a stand alone home under 200K that isn't in need of some work or in a bad area of town.

It's not as rosy as some of the other answers, but I'd rather be honest about what I see here.
Web Reference: http://www.jrjarvis.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 19, 2007
Joshua Jarvis, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
Hi Jen:
Your choices bring broad selections; insofar as your work place will be. Marietta is in Cobb while Norcross is in Gwinnett County.

East Cobb was one of the fastest growing areas; whereas, Gwinnett is starting it's ascension.

If you do decide to work in Norcross - I would like to make a small suggestion:

I would like to offer my area of expertise and the best kept secret in Georgia! It's called Vickery Village and it is a progressive new community with shops/boutiques, restaurants (it even has an Italian Gelatto shop), walking distance to the elementary and middle schools, and a new YMCA that rivals most private gyms.

It's located in Forsyth County and I love living here. I moved from California hoping to find a small township that still has that country feel - while providing the amenities (shopping) I am accustomed to from a large city.

Please give me a call - and I would love to tell you more!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 18, 2007
I am from the west coast (Portland, OR) and can understand the environment you are looking for. There are several areas downtown Atlanta that would fit your needs such as Grant Park, Inman Park and Oakhurst. If you are looking in the Norcross area, downtown Norcross and Duluth have completely revitalized and have the atmosphere you are looking for as well. Suwanee is also a wonderful place with great restaurants within walking distance. Suwanee was also on Money Magazine's Top 100 Places To Live...it was rated number 10! Depending on how far you are willing to commute, I could suggest some other areas as well. Let me know if I can help! Thanks, Tary
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 18, 2007
Hi Jen,

Atlanta has some great progressive in-town n'hoods. You need to check out these neighborhoods: Edgewood, Kirkwood, East Lake, East Atlanta, Candler Park, Little 5 Points, Lake Claire, and Oakhurst. All of these neighborhoods are walkable and may be suitable for your price range. Some other cool n'hoods, that are a bit more pricey are: Inman Park, Druid Hills, Virginia Highland, and Midtown. Typically not much under 300k in any of those areas though, unless it's a condo.
You may also want to check out Historic College Park and East Point, both are close to the airport and have walkable areas.

I have no idea if any neighborhood in Norcross or Marietta would be suitable or not, may be someone else more familiar with those areas will chime in.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 18, 2007
You have a lot to digest!

Here's my top 5 list for you...the under $200K price range will be tough for a "stand alone" house, but here goes...expect to buy a 2/1.

1. the edges of Decatur, Clarkston and Scottdale
2. Howell Station
3. Reynoldstown
4. College Park
5. East Point
If you want the same "feel" to the neighborhood that you have now in Seattle, you need to seriously consider not going outside of the perimeter. It's a different world out there. They have latte, and yoga, and resturants, but it's all very suburban and not within walking distance. If you want to actually be able to get up and walk out of your house to these places you need to be intown. Take my word for it.

Are you looking at condos or houses for under $200k? How many bedrooms?
Inman Park, VA Highlands, Candler Park, Lake Claire, all have what you're looking for but a 2bed/1bath bungelow is going to cost you at least $300k (unless it's in bad shape), and a 2bed/1bath condo is going to start out at about $200k. Grant Park, and East Atlanta might be you best shot for finding a house under $200k in a good neighborhood, with all the "extras" you're looking for.

If you need any help on your search, don't hesitate to contact me.
Web Reference: http://www.c21dwellings.com
Hi Jenn,
The Decatur area is where you want to be. Reverse commute to the Airport 10-15 minutes. Norcross is 15 -20 minutes. Now Marietta is whole other ballgame. That location for your job would put a home purchase somewhere in the Smyrna area, North West of Atlanta, for you guys, but it would double/triple the commute to the Airport. Relocating from Seattle though, I would choose Decatur. This little city is full of sit-down eateries, shops, and most of them are located on the Square. The greatest thing is that Decatur is located within a 15 minute drive to practically everything worth doing in Atlanta. There are more crafty, latte drinking, yoga doin, and no cooking at home kinda people there, and if you like to make your own pottery, check out my friends at http://www.mudfire.com. They are located in Avondale Estates, which is a little city that is literally next door to Decatur. Avondale Estates is getting ready to go through a huge revitalization project. There is one neighborhood I have in mind specifically for you that would put you in walking distance to both. If you would be interested in seeing what 200K will get you in this neighborhood, let me know. Would love to talk to you further about it. I actually have a great listing in the 250K range coming up in this neighborhood that will go live in March. Do not know if that is in your time range, but if you want to see a couple of pics before it goes on the market, I can send them to you.
Web Reference: http://www.iknowatlanta.com
Go with the south side of Grant Park, like the previous posts suggested. Tons of development planned for southern end of Grant Street, where you'll be able to walk to Grant Park, ATL's oldest park, and ATL's newest park, set to begin development in '08. Also right next door to ATL mounted police pastures, so you can stroll past grazing horses in the middle of the city! You also will have a 10-minute drive to the airport.
Web Reference: http://www.grantcir109.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2007
I would look into some of the neighborhoods around Turner field like Summerhill and Grant Park. These neighborhoods are goring pretty fast and from what I hear there is going to be a lot of development around the Summerhill area. It's minutes to downtown and you can find a nice home in the 200K to 275k range.
I was born and raised in Seattle, in my 20"s and early 30's lived two blocks from Greenlake, and also 65th and 15th in the U-District. Honestly if you are an urban couble with no kids, I think you would like the Atlantic Station area but thy only have condo's there. It has to total feel you are thinking of.

For a house, I would look close to the perimeter mall area, there is a neighborhood right by the shopping with the outdoor mall and shops, coffee etc. Apartments, townhouses and condos, homes a half mile or more away.

Roswell, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody are surrounding neighborhoods for homes. Homes there are usually more than 200K BUT, you will find mid-century (built in the 50's funky) fixers there (homes like you would see in Ballard, U-Dist. or West Seattle) Call me if you want me to send you some listings.
Susan McCann 770-990-4026
I think you would love Marietta. I moved here from Ohio 7 years ago and I love it here! I have experience in the Marietta, East Cobb, Smyrna, Vinings areas and also Roswell and Alpharetta. These would all be good choices for you. Call me to discuss if you like. 770-565-3400.
I moved from Seattle, late last year to Atlanta. In my opinion, no neightborhood will come close to what you are trying to describe. Over the years I lived in Seattle, Kirkland and then Issaquah/Sammamish and all of these areas had a lake nearby, great corner latte shops and sit-downs. Virginia-Highlands would be perfect in Atlanta, but the real estate prices in many areas of Atlanta is beginning to look like I am back in Seattle.

Sorry, but did not want you in for a rude shock, but at $200K, you will probably need to look at condos...
Hi Jen,

So you're leaving my birth-place of Seattle, eh? Well, I think that you and your husband will quickly fall in love with Atlanta. Bill is right about trying to replicate what you have now. Atlanta's suburbs are so much more spread out over a large geographic area. Depending upon who looses the coin toss on the longer commute, I would recommend Peachtree City (closer to the airport), Alpharetta (closer to Marietta but somewhat in between), Suwanee (recently voted the #10 Best Place to Live) and Buford (Mall of Georiga and up & coming town center similar to Suwanee).

Please let us know how we can be of assistance to you & your real estate needs in the Atlanta metro area.

Warm regards,

Ted Shoop
Web Reference: http://MyGeorgiaHomes.com
Vicki Masell…, Real Estate Pro in Duluth, GA
Replicating Seattle in Atlanta is going to be a challenge. While Atlanta has come of age for Latte's and great restaurants, it is tough to find the combination you are looking for. Tucker (near Norcross) is a good area that is close to the amenities you describe, Acworth (near Marietta) may have some possibilities for you.
Hi Jen,

When you say Intown I think close to or inside the "Perimeter" (I285). Tucker, Decatur, Chamblee, Doraville, Kirkwood, Edgewood are a few areas inside or just outside the "Perimeter" where you can find houses for around 200k. One of the best ways to find a nice house in these areas, is to work with an agent who really knows the area. I grew up "intown" Atlanta,so I do know the neighborhoods well. If you are interested in looking through some of the available properties in these neighborhoods online check out my website, and if you have any questions feel free to call me anytime.
Jen:
I could probably duplicate your present environment in the Rome, GA. area, which is approx 1 hr and 15 min from the Atl. airport. Considering how congensted the Atlanta area is, this commute may be in line with being in Atlanta proper itself. You can check out our community on the web at http://www.romega.org or romega.com. Don't know if it's a possibility, but thought it may be worth looking into. Thanks - Steve