Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

21KCM, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

Can anyone provide thoughts, advice, recommendations on potentially buying a home in the Villa Park neighborhood of Denver, Co? (Southwest Denver area

Asked by 21KCM, Denver, CO Tue Oct 9, 2012

Looking for anything relevant to the neighborhood present and future; Light Rail, South Platte River, Mile High Stadium development....Thanks.

Answers

8
I live in Villa Park. I have been here for 10 years. It takes me 10 minutes to ride my bike to Sloans Lake, 20 minutes to ride my bike Downtown. I can hop in my car and jump on 6th ave and be in the mountains just as fast and not have to deal with any city traffic.

The neighborhood still has a few rough spots but I have seen similar rough spots in other Denver neighborhoods. The Light Rail is already bringing in people who are buying the rougher homes and fixing them up.

My yard is huge, I would never have been able to find a house as big as mine with such a large yard in my price range anywhere else in Denver. I have enough room to plant a garden and a small orchard. I'm happy I bought here and I will be ecstatically happy when the new light rail stop opens 3 blocks from me and the new library opens on Colfax.
21KCM,

Good answers below. I can't tell if you are looking for an investment property, fix and flip, or a home for yourself to enjoy and watch the improvement and appreciation continue. Villa Park is one of those neighborhoods like Baker and City Park years ago that buyers went into as the transition was occurring and have never looked back. Lots of pluses here and lots of good help and experience here to draw from should you decide to move forward. All the best.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
This neighborhood is also called Barnum. I grew up there. The attractoin for my parents and family was the local Catholic school--but it is a neighborhood with churches every couple of blocks.
There are many long time residents in this area who have anchored this area. Very likely to know your neighbors and there are many strong,single family blocks. I have a one owner home that has incredible pride of ownership coming on the market soon under $175,000.
Over the years of showing homes in Villa Park, this year in particular I noticed a lot of movement as far as remodels, updated homes and even scrapes. The location is incredible - views of and proximity to Downtown and the mountains. Right now Villa Park is probably the last most affordable neighborhood in Denver with a huge potential for future appreciation.

Marina Bay
Cherry Creek Properties
303-880-6167
I have several rentals in Villa Park and know the area well. Here is what I like about the area:
1. Light rail is slated to open 4/26/13 - http://www.rtd-denver.com/WestRailLine.shtmlI

2. St Anthonys redevelopment site of 19 acres is only 5 blocks to the north of Villa Park. From the meetings I have been to it will be 800-1000 units and 80% residential with 20% commercial. It is under contract and through phase I environmental. I have heard construction on new buildings could start as early as end of 2013.

3. Proximity to Sloans Lake

4. Easy access to mountains on 6th Ave

The only other place you are going to find as good of a deal on a house this close to downtown is north of City Park. Feel free to call or email if you would like more info or to discuss further.
21KCM, Indeed there is a tremendous amount of redevelopment and upgrading in the area-light rail going through, the Colfax corridor from Federal to Sheridan being redone, the new library going in- lots of opportunity in the area, and low prices relative for the market.

Are you looking to buy an investment property or a personal residence.

I would be happy to assist you either way.

Brendan McCaw
Associate Broker
Keller Williams Denver Central
1777 S Harrison St #1100
Denver, CO 80210
303-722-3300
720-363-7003
21KCM,

I'm happy to share my thoughts!

I think Villa Park is going to be on a fast track to see property values rising in the next 3-5 years and is a great Denver neighborhood to invest in right now. Aside from the Light Rail going in ( 2013), Denver Housing Authority has been buying lots along Colfax and has plans to redevelop a lot of that Colfax stretch between Federal and Sheridan with retail and new built housing. So think of this area as Curtis Park 10 years ago... Once the Denver Housing Authority went in and redeveloped that neighborhood, the prices jumped and haven't stopped climbing since.

I've been watching Villa Park for a while now and would be happy to talk to you about buying a good investment there if you are interested. Call or email me if you want to chat about it-I'd be happy to help!

Marina Jensen
303 908-9117
http://www.MarinaJensen.com
What specifically woul you like to know?
I know the area well. You can call directly if you would like to.
Rchelle Paplow
Cherry Creek Properties
720-839-2659