Home Buying in North Raleigh>Question Details

Newmansgang, Home Buyer in Roslyn Heights, NY

Can anyone offer information about Bedford or Wakefield for twenty-somethings? We are looking for a home and will have 2 adult offspring temporarily.

Asked by Newmansgang, Roslyn Heights, NY Thu Oct 24, 2013

Answers

13
Lynn Furr’s answer
I absolutely love Bedford. When my clients decided to build in another subdivision on a huge lot, the wife actually burst out in tears at leaving her home. She loved to take her walks and just visit with neighbors. After 24 years of selling homes in the Triangle I would say Bedford is on my top 10 list. I am sure your 2 adult offspring would be more than fine.
Both communities are located in fantastic locations. Wakefield has a few "hot spots": Wine Cellar, Wakefield Tavern, Hyoshi (sushi), Dante's Italian Restaurant, etc. There is plenty to keep the 20 somthing's entertained as well as the older adults. My husband and I have lived in Wakefield for almost ten years and LOVE it. As New York transplants I thought we'd never have the same type of excitement but Wakefield and it's proximity to downtown Raleigh is the perfect combination. There is just about everything within walking distance: Rex Health Complex (urgent care, doctors offices, treatment center as well as an indoor swimming pool health club), 3 major grocery stores, banks banks banks, Movie complex, and even a roller skating rink. Just a few miles down the road is the cute town of Wkae Forest which has a bowling ally....Business thrives here as well as golf. Many neighborhoods have community pools. Come on down. you'll love the life and the being outdoors. A beautiful new Greenway 20 mile trail just opened and it is wonderful. My husband trained for the NYCity Marathon on it. Good Luck!
Hey Janice,
My kids both went to Wakefield High School and both Bedford and Wakefield are great neighborhoods. My kids are now young adults in their 20's and would rather live closer to downtown or North Hills. I have just found a great rental for them, so if you still need help please reach out to me!
Flag Thu Jun 26, 2014
By the way I live part time in Savannah. That's why it says renter, Savannah.
Flag Sun Mar 9, 2014
From my experiences with both of these areas, you wouldn't be compromising yourself or your children's well being by moving into either of these areas. Since your children are grown, they would be able to drive themselves into Raleigh when necessary. Both of these neighborhoods are extremely nice and offer many different options regarding lifestyles and sizes of home to chose from. It all depends on what your needs are. Either Bedford at Falls Lake or Wakefield Plantation would be extremely nice choices. If I can be of assistance or service to you and your family, please drop me a note or give me a call. I bring over 12 years of real estate experience to the table and would be happy to discuss your needs with you.

Lannie Hall
lannie@lanniehall.net
919-926-7978
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 23, 2013
From someone who grew up in Wakefield, not the best area for a 20 something. Neither is Bedford really. However, they are not too far removed from downtown and if it is only a temporary situation, the kids should be just fine. Both communities are very popular, but value wise may not be the best option. There is a new development in wake forest called Traditions at Heritage, just being built and in the low-mid 300s. Also there are several resale properties availability in Heritage Wake Forest which has continually ranked amongst the top subdivisions in the nation. Travel time from downtown raleigh:

Bedford: 20 minutes, Active Listings ->(http://gormanc.hpwsearch.com/search/results/Bedford)
Wakefield: 25 minutes, Active Listings -> (http://gormanc.hpwsearch.com/search/results/Wakefield)
Heritage: 30-35 minutes, Active Listings -> (http://gormanc.hpwsearch.com/search/results/HeritageWF)

If I can help in any way please give me a ring or shoot me an email, (919) 645-7212, gormanc@hpw.com.

Chris Gorman, REALTOR
Bedford or Wakefield are both wonderful areas to live. They both have a great community. Another place you may consider is the North Hill area. Let me know if I can help.
Hi. Those are 2 great neighborhoods. Please send over your wish list criteria to shelly@shellyhashomes.com and I will be happy to email info about all homes that may meet your needs. Also I can be reached on my cell at 919-278-8086.
Well Newmansgang, I'm not twenty something but I do live in Wakefield Plantation. And I love it. Everything is so close by, excellent schools, doctors, hospitals, groceries, banking, shopping, movie theatres, restaurants, pools, spas, golf courses on site and a clubhouse that's just truly magnificent .....I mean honestly, what's not to love?

And the neighbors are wonderful as well. The landscaping is superb, just lovely! Water Fountains, flowers, manicured shrubs, and picture perfect flowering plants. The landscapers here do a tremendous job year round. Every season brings more beautiful plantings everywhere. I would love to send you pictures!

Bedford is equally as nice and just next door , not even a mile away. Have pictures of Bedford too.

Are you decided on a home in one of these subdivisions or have you just seen them online and that's why you ask? Because I am a native of North Raleigh and grew up in BayLeaf near what is now Falls Lake . And there are many beautiful neighborhoods in that part of North Raleigh as well. There's Chatsworth, George's Grant, Ethan's Glen, The Registry, and Rosemont , to name a few. And let's not forget the subdivision where all the hockey players live and there was an Olympic Gold Medalist , Kristi Yamagucci (if I spelled it correctly) who also lives in a very nice subdivision off of Durant Road in the same area of BayLeaf in North Raleigh.

The only reason I mention it is because those homes are a better quality construction than the ones in Wakefield or Bedford. And usually they come with larger tracts of land because all of BayLeaf is now zoned R-80W which as you know means its in the watershed of Falls lake and that homes must have a minimum of two acres to build on. The homes in Wakefield and Bedford are much closer together and the lots are generally less than half an acre because we are not in the watershed here.

I'd love to send you listings and you can review them at your leisure on your computer. The ones I send generally have more information attached to them , more pictures, and of course they are all current listings. The problem is that Raleigh now has over 400,000 residents and there are usually over 20,000 listings in my MLS on any given day. Of course, I can personally show you any of the homes listed , however, I would hate to send that many listings to your computer at one time. So, could you please narrow it down a bit for me? Say, listings in North Raleigh only? And how may bedrooms would you need? Bathrooms? How about master on the main or second? Laundry room floor? How many cars in the garage? How big of a yard would you require? If you could give me just a little information, then I can send you everything available , within reason of course.

I look forward to hearing from you and working with you as well. Please email me (just click CONTACT ME) and give me your email address. I will prepare a lovely website for you that contains ONLY the homes in the areas you wish to see, Thank you !
I find that it's too far away from any interesting social activities. Theater, bars, nightclubs are mostly in Raleigh, and it's a long drive to downtown Raleigh from either Bedford or Wakefield. My retired neighbor moved to Wakefield 5 years ago, and wishes he and his wife hadn't moved there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 26, 2013
Hi, Bedford is a great neighborhood for any age. Swim club, exercise facility, various clubs for different interests posted in neighborhood on-line newsletter. Homes from townhomes and condos to detached homes. i currently have a listing under $250k in the Craftsman style homes on All points View. Everyone i know who lives there loves it; homes, neighborhood, proximity to greenway and lake. Bedford is a "total package". If I can help feel free to email margaretcress@gmail.com or call 919.414.8144. Raleigh is filled with great places to live, work and play. Margaret Cress, Broker with Champion Realty, inc.
Yes, I have worked on some of the rotten homes up there as a contractor. Can give you a good idea of what to look for. Call anytime.

Sam Calvert
919-870-2999.
I have helped several family's in both neighborhoods , let me know if I can help.
Michael
I'm always awake. Give me a ring.

Jim Howard
919.448.6111