Yammers, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Can anyone give me some advice on the area know as 'West Bucktown'.?

Asked by Yammers, Chicago, IL Sun Nov 25, 2012

I'm thinking of buying a condo a couple of blocks east of California and just south of Armitage. Is it safe? is it really 'up and coming?.... or do it need to save up alittle more and be East of Western? Many thanks.

Answers

19
You are definately going to get more for your money being south of Armitage but at the expense of the neighborhood. Use http://www.everyblock.com to get more info on crime and safety regarding specific streets. Feel free to shoot me an email or call me, i have lived in Logan Square for the last 3 years now and have a pretty good idea of all of its parts
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
That part of "West Bucktown" is pretty much Logan Square. Lots to do around that location (try out Revolution Brew Pub) and very convenient to the California blue line stop.

What you consider to be safe in Chicago is an opinion that you need develop for yourself. I would recommend you pull crime stats on areas in the city you consider to be safe and compare them to the crime stats for this area. I use this site: http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm. Plenty of other great advice from Trulia contributors on this subject as well.

Maybe you haven't found the right place yet. I would advise you to expand your search (try Logan Square and areas south of Division and north of Grand) and keep looking. Also try to rate where "location" sits in your wish list.

Good luck, please let me know if I can help further.

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty
Cell 773/368-5515
Email esachs@rpvinc.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
Bucktown continues to be a great area to invest in without the Lincoln Park prices. As another broker mentioned, it is wise to visit the area that you are interested in during the day and at night.

I would be happy to help if you still need a broker.
Yammers,

There is a big difference in price and the area. I would recommend that you hire an agent who can sit with you and go over the pros and cons for each area, working towards a short term and long term goal for you.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Founder and Team Leader

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Extraordinary Service For Extraordinary Lives"
So, did you decide to buy? It could have been a good decision. Rates were low and the market has heated up since then. West bucktown is really just Logan square and if you are south of the Bloomingdales trail it is Humboldt park.

Safety is a personal preference. Some people think an area is safe where I wouldn't want to live and others don't feel safe where I do. You just need to do some research yourself.

Let me know how it worked out for you!

Jeffrey Olichwier
Managing broker
Patrick Jeffrey Realty
Chicago Illinois
312-375-9653
Not yet, maybe never!!! I am a British guy, good income, 30% plus deposit, no other debt, and yet the crazy banks are making me jump through the most crazy hoops ever. If you know a good mortgage broker who'd touch me, then you have a red hot buyer!
Flag Tue Jul 2, 2013
You will do find there. As in any gentrified neighborhood, i.e., Bucktown, the borders keep creeping block by block expanding the gentrification into surrounding blocks. That is how and why Brokers come up with these new neighborhood names. Even Chinatown is now moving into Bridgeport and may at some point be called South Chinatown............look at West Loop.

I hope this helps.

Alexis Eldorrado
Eldorrado Chicago Real Estate LLC
http://www.Eldorrado.com
http://www.Facebook.com/ChicagoRealEstateBroker
I have a house at los angeles
Technically, Bucktown is considered to be part of the Logan Square area. Yet, most people who live in Bucktown will tell you that they live in Bucktown and not Logan Square. In fact, for most residents of Bucktown, such a thought probably doesn't enter their minds.
The Bucktown area is located near Wicker Park and is fairly close to the Loop. In general, you might not feel as though you have a tremendous amount to do in Bucktown specifically, as it is mostly residential in nature. However, its location is really quite excellent, and you can reach many of the cities hottest spots from Bucktown easily. Stating that Bucktown is geographically well situated in Chicago is definitely an understatement. This is one of the big reasons that Bucktown has become a hot spot for development. That stated, there are still plenty of good bars and restaurants in the area that are worth a look.
Ask your agent to investigate how values have held in that area in recent years. It was hot at the height of the market but prices fell along with the market. One of my clients didn't sell in time, and the value of the condo dropped considerably by the time she could sell it. Are you willing to take a risk on values that may not be holding steady yet? You'll need to be there for a while, so make sure you have thoroughly reviewed the pros and cons with your agent before making a commitment that it may not be so easy to get out of.
Due your due diligence and visit the area at different times of the day/week. Does the area have the amenities you are looking for? Transport, shopping, restaurants, etc etc etc
Check out

The West Bucktown Neighborhood Association. It is a non-profit organization serving the Chicago community bounded by West of Western, East of California, North of North, and South of Armitage.

http://www.westbucktown.org/
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
Yammers,

Google "Chicago Crime Map" for some unbiased statistics. Most people consider Logan Square as north of Armitage and Humbolt Park as south of Armitage. There is also Palmer Square as you go west.

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com
Prices are one way of gauging overall desirability of a neighborhood, and as you have seen, there is a premium in the area east of where you are looking. As others have suggested, spend some time there at different times of the day and see who your neighbors are and how comfortable you are doing the things you would do if you lived there.
When you hear a directional before the name of the neighborhood it, more often than not, is not really that neighborhood. Many times people will take the name of the "happening" area at the moment and slowly extend it. Humboldt park no longer exists where it once did. It is now known as south Logan Square or even sometimes west Bucktown.

The area you are referencing is actually where I have lived for the past 7 years and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Great place to invest in multi unit buildings for some rental income as well!

Plus there is a Taste E Freeze right there on Armitage it is amazing in the few hot months we have!
Flag Mon Mar 11, 2013
We cant really comment on up and coming because they consider that steering. I would research the area. See if there looks to be a lot of new development. Look at the market times on units that appear to be priced right and show well. If its under a month, then thats a good sign.

As to safety, we cant comment on that either. I would go there at all different times of the day and night. See if it fits your personality.
Yammers,

It's hard decipher what you really want as you are looking in the West Town area however this an area which is more Logan Square however close enough to Bucktown. I would recommend driving around during the day and at night and do the eye test... what do you see. Also, check with the local municipality for crime statistics in the area. Each block in our city can be different so spend time time on the block that you are looking to purchase and see if it feels right for you.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Group Founder

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

"Locally Known, Globally Recognized"
I would invest east of western ..either way I beleive you purchase real esate to enjoy it not make money
You should go there during the evening and take a walk, grab some dinner, and really get a feel of the neighborhood. Hang out for several hours. Talk to some of the neighbors.

But this is a personal decision and really depends on your personality and expectations.
Yammers,
It is still Chicago so you will ha e issues.
I say go to everyblock.com and look at the incidents in and around the area.
I believe you buy what you want because you will have to be happy there for a while.
Back in the 'bubble' years, ALL neighborhoods were referred to as 'up and coming'. It was a rationale for sellers to ask lots more money for what they had. When the bubble broke, all that fell apart and I think it will be a while before they recover.
R E agents cannot talk about 'safety'. Check with the police about crime statistics. If you plan to stay anyplace 5yrs or less, your odds of getting your money back are less.....maybe much less........than if you buy in more established areas. Try to stay more than 5 yrs anywhere you go.