Annemarie Br…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, AL

Can anyone give me an idea how to put a home on the market whose owners Are hoarders and helpless about it.?

Asked by Annemarie Brown, Birmingham, AL Sun Aug 12, 2012

Annemarie, you have to ask them. DO YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR HOME? If the answer is YES, then you have to tell them, in order ot sell your home for anything close to what it is worth, you have to do these things. LIST OF STUFF.
IF they are not motivated enough to clean the home, then they aren't motivated enough to SELL the home.
What is it worth to you? If they are not motivated to sell, then you won't be paid. How much effort do you put in? Well, that is up to you. Helping people is one thing, but they also have to be willing to help themselves.
I wish you the best.
Sometimes you just have to walk away.
Hopefully they will realize what they have to do to get the ammount that they probably want.
Gosh Annemarie, I feel for you. This isn't an easy job. I personally wouldn't list it until it was cleaned up and ready to show. If they have the funds, renting one of the PODS that are available for drop off on your driveway may be an option. It's better for them to have their stuff in a POD outside of the home then have the inside of it full. It takes tough skin, but you're going to have to tell them that no one is going to buy their home if A) They can't see it enough to tell what they are buying and B) An inspector and an appraiser are going to have to come in at some point and they too will need to see what they are inspecting/appraising.

Good luck! This isn't an easy one.
explain A) how much more they will get for their home
B) when it is sold, they have to pack, gett rid of...... anyway, just do it sooner than later
C) find out how much it would cost for a professional packer to come in, pack it up and move it all to a storage unit
D) get the family involved if possible

good luck!
I am a realtor as well, don't know why this is naming me as a Home Buyer. So much I have to learn in this tech world.
Flag Thu Oct 24, 2013
You know, the estate/garage sale is a great idea, then donate to Salavation Army...they will pick up. Then list it. It's crazy, I have seen pics online with a house full of stuff, it just is so funny, but there are others who can't keep it tidy.
Flag Thu Oct 24, 2013
Thank you, I will get a price, they don't want to put it in storage, almost everything has to be sold like in a garage estate sale.
Flag Sun Aug 12, 2012
Will they even let people in?

Will it be a safety hazard - can people easily navigate throughout the home?

Just how bad is it?

If you can get them to move out first, you'd be better off........can you get their familty involved for support?

Good luck.........
Wouldn't this be like trying to sell a car that was covered in mud and with two flat tires?

You may not like my suggestion, but, I would walk away from it; it will get worse!

Good luck and may God bless
I think you are right ?? What about a garage sale company they organize everything and sell it.
Flag Sun Aug 12, 2012