YoungBuyer, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

Can anyone give insight on the Green Valley Ranch area? A realtor I spoke to said it was a rough place to live...

Asked by YoungBuyer, Denver, CO Sat May 4, 2013

I am a single twenty something female. Safety is a definite priority for me when house hunting! Thanks.

Answers

15
Lake Bishop’s answer
Green Valley Ranch is a very nice community. I have lived and worked in the community for the last 5 years and feel very safe here. Please call or email me with any questions. Plus you can get some really good buys here as well.

Lake Bishop
LakeBishop.com
720-277-9219
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 4, 2013
Hi Young Buyer,
It is disappointing to hear that a Realtor had an opinion like that. We are bound as Realtors to not make those kinds of remarks that could influence the buying public, besides, it is basically unethical. You can consult the Public Safety Officer for that area of Denver by calling the Denver Police Department.
I have helped a number of buyers and sellers in Green Valley over the years. Green Valley continues to be developed by builders and has a long way to go regarding expansion. That helps you as a home buyer. New home prices are rising and new construction homes are in high demand as there is a shortage of homes across the metro area. Existing home prices are bolstered by rising new construction sales in the area.
Let me know how I might help as you continue your home search.
You can find more homes in Green Valley at paulsdenverhomes.com
We've lived in Green Valley Ranch since 1998. We bought our home new. It was built by Oakwood Homes. The quality of the construction is excellent. Our neighborhood is quiet, the neighbors are friendly and helpful. The racial makeup is quite diverse. This neighborhood was hit by the housing crisis just like any other area. There are too many vacancies that look really bad because they're not kept up by the banks that own them. But things are turning around.

There are those who will tell you it's "rough". To put it bluntly, they're racists. They're uncomfortable in any area that is not predominantly white. For the record, we are white, retired, in our middle sixties. We feel very comfortable and secure here.

There has never been any serious crime. Mostly property crimes, that frankly are as much the fault of the victims because they left valuables in their cars, or left their home unsecured. Not to justify the criminal conduct, but nearly all completely preventable.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 28, 2013
Green Valley Ranch is pretty vast, and there are older and much newer areas that have different look and feel.
Here is the Denver crime stats map for that area:
http://www.denvergov.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=VuzfN6HUP…
Hope this helps.
Chuck Strauss
Your Castle Real Estate
720-318-7598
denverhomeguru@gmail.com
http://www.denverhomeguru.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 5, 2013
I'm a single female and have lived out here for the past 4 years and this is my third time living in GVR. I've never felt threatened or unsafe. It's a nice neighborhood with kids playing and nice people. Every neighborhood has it's issues and even getting the crime stats for us is difficult because we've been lumped in with Gateway, Stapleton and Montbello. I've never been bothered by anyone and really enjoy it out here.
It is unfortunate that an agent would make such a comment. We as agents are not to try to steer someone to, or away from a neighborhood. We can point them to a reliable 3rd party so they can make their own judgement. I often point buyers to talk to an area police office who knows the area. They should be able to tell you what kind of calls they receive and what goes on in the neighborhood. I also like the comment below of talking to the firemen at the local station. They work there everyday and know what goes on. Green Valley Ranch has many affordable housing choices that may be just right for you. Please let me know if you need more information.

Chris Yedo Johnson ABR CRS CNE SFR
Broker Associate
303-520-7190
I have sold to single women in GVR. They are very happy with their decision to move there. They enjoy the easy commute to work, shopping and amenities available. It is a diverse neighborhood, with singles, young families and empty nesters. Oakwood homes continues to be an active builder in the area. There is a community to the North that is very good as well. Please let me know if you would like additional information on the neighborhoods.

Colleen Mullins, Realtor
Your Castle Real Estate
720-333-5363 (call or text)
ColleenLMullins@yahoo.com
Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the honesty.
YoungBuyer,

Having lived in Green Valley Ranch from 2001 - 2008, I could be prejudiced. But we fully enjoyed our experience there and the Oakwood home we lived in. It is a diverse community with something for everyone from amenities, shopping, an amphitheater, and a highly rated golf course. We heard less sirens than in any area we have lived in in Denver proper.

I have sold more homes there in the last couple of years than anywhere else. I have had many clients who had the same questions (from agents and others) that I took there hesitantly to look. Once there, they loved the homes, the prices, and the community and are so grateful they made that decision. Some are actually single women. It is only 10 minutes East of Stapleton and worth the trip. Contact me for more info or to view homes in this 'hot' area of Denver.

Robert McGuire
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Realestate
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
I recently helped a family member buy in GVR (and I like my family). The new amenities for the area have added great appeal. If you look into the crime stat map, compare it to the crime stats in a neighborhood you like, otherwise the numbers may scare you. If I can be of help, contact me.
GVR is a growing area, there are some new and affordable homes, its closer to DIA, most houses have no basements, but it is a nice family oriented area.
You've gotten some good answers below. That area has some good prices, you would do well to work with an agent who works there regularly and who treats you respectfully. Good luck in your home search!
Stop by the local fire station and ask what type calls they respond to in the area. Pretty reliable information no matter what area you want to live in.
I have sold in the area. The homes are newer and so are the stores. It's close to DIA. I would be happy to send you a neighborhood report that shows the crime stats. Call or text
Rachelle Paplow
Broker Associate, Realtor
Cherry Creek Properties
(720) 839-2659
The Qakwood Homes area appears nice. See if you fell comfortable there.