Home Buying in Romulus>Question Details

Patient 1, Home Buyer in Wayne, MI

Can an offer be made thats less than the asking price, dealing with a foreclosure?

Asked by Patient 1, Wayne, MI Sun Apr 17, 2011

Answers

7
@pamala- yes I am, believe it or not!!! I've been waiting on a response for my short sale since late September. Bunch of back and forth with that!! However, I will change my name soon enough if things don't progress a little quicker!! Thanks for the info. I will consider it all
Yes you can, as others have suggested. There is a "203k Ready" program that can help you use the FHA 203k rehab loan program to position you to negotiate more aggressively. The quick overview is this:

You hire a HUD Certified 203k Consultant to do a "Feasibility Analysis". That consultant can do aninspection prior to your offer and prepare a scope of work with a cost estimate. Your Realtor can use that as a basis to help "justify" your lower offer. You also get the confidence knowing that a professional has looked at the house with you. This inspection usually costs about $350. If you need a referral, please let me know.

Your lender should also prepare a pre-qualificatioon letter, but instead of a letter, request an "automated underwriting approval" for the purchase price PLUS the rehab costs identfied by the consultant. This makes you an infinitely better prepared and better qualified buyer making it more likely the asset manager will accept your lower offer. More details on the FHA program canbe found at http://www.203kServices.com
Web Reference: http://www.203kServices.com
Patient 1

Are you really the parient one? Only kidding.... the answer to your question is yes. You say you are working with a realtor, have that realtor pull the comps to get an idea of what homes are selling for. You can offer what ever you want to but remember you just might get refused or countered or there might be multiple offers. The bank will want the highest and best. If you find a home you like make it a good offer, notice I said good and be reasonable. Homes have dropped so much in price everything is a good deal

Yes I do. I'm actually in a long, depressing short sale process now. I'm looking to buy something with cash so as not to have a mortgage. This short sale process has caused me to lose out on the GOOD deals that WERE out there. So now besides being annoyed with my agent, the listing agent and the bank, I can't afford to buy something I really like and get a great deal!!!!
Hi Patient.

Do you have a buyer's agent who can help you to make a decent strategy with this offer?

I have seen many foreclosures in my market (Birmingham/Bloomfield) go far over asking price. It is hard for any of us to know if the asking price on that home is off or not, and you will want to take other offers into consideration as well. Is it likely a 'hot' property, with more than you interested?

You can make any offer you want, but if you genuinely want the house then you need to make the offer somewhat appealing to the bank. They have already done their appraisals/bpos before they listed it, so they have some sense of what they think it is worth even though they are losing money on it.

I agree with you that prices are on the upswing. Your bank will set the guidelines for your mortgage appraisal and they might not want to go back further than 120 days.
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
Ok, thanks. How far back can I go when it comes to comps....december? Some sold for the price I'm willing to pay, but prices seem to be on the rise again, so I don't know what I can compare it to.
You are free to offer whatever you wish, however, do review comps beforehand--recently sold similar properties in the immediate area, then make your determination...your agent can best advise....