lzy7071, Home Buyer in 27705

Can an international PhD student (F-1 visa) get a mortgage in Missouri?

Asked by lzy7071, 27705 Wed Mar 16, 2011

I am currently an F-1 undergraduate who have had an SSN for four years and an excellent credit history. I will be a PhD student this coming September, still holding F-1 status. I was just wondering if it'd be possible for me to get a mortgage when I can make 20-30% down payment. My research salary will be able to pay the monthly dues.

Answers

3
Sharon is right. You should ask for the answer from a loan officer. F-1 visa is a student visa and not designed for people who earn money usually. However, you are earning salary in academia on campus, that must be allowed under the immigration law. If that income is sufficient for the mortgage payment, you should be theoretically eligible for the loan. However, the lenders might have different rules beyond our imagination. Good luck!!
I actually spoke to several lenders about this a couple of years ago and their answer was yes! Let me know if you need anything further.
JoAnn Thaxton,Realtor
Remax By The Water
I think the best answer for you as you are not a nationalized citizen is to talk to a loan officer. Do you have a credit union or bank you deal with on a regular basis? Ask them.