Home Buying in Boulder>Question Details

12345, Home Buyer in Boulder, CO

Can an individual list with Trulia or do you have to be a real estate agent?

Asked by 12345, Boulder, CO Tue Jan 31, 2012

Answers

9
Just as a quick side note: the contract for deeds website is wonderful if you are a Buyer who doesn't have any credit or you are a Seller who likes taking extreme risks.

Let's think about this for a moment. Their own site says that this is a great place to go if you don't want to "supply much financial information" or if you "don't have stellar credit." Now, I understand that there are folks who have made financial mistakes in the past, but do you really want to take a risk lending money to someone who has made those mistakes? And that's exactly what you're doing if you do owner financing, lending money to the Buyer.

Your choice, but if I were selling my own home, I wouldn't take that sort of risk. Advice like this is something that you can expect from a Seller's Agent, who would be working solely on your behalf.
you can list your home for free at the site below
Trulia has an agreement with the various mls agencies around the country. The data once listed in the local mls by either an agent or an individual then is uploaded to Trulia. So all the listings on Trulia must go thru a local mls. Call the mls to see what their fees and policies are about a non agent listing a property on their site.
And let me know if you have any other questions along the way.
Follow my blog from my website.
Web Reference: http://www.JanBaulsir.com
Well, first off, there are some good answers here, and there's an interesting one. I don't know why someone would say that "most agents can't sell homes in this market," because if that were true, there wouldn't be a lot of agents. If you can't sell houses, you don't last in Real Estate.

That being said, here are a couple of reasons why using a real estate agent or a REALTOR is a smart thing to do. First off, anyone who is able to use the Multiple Listing Service will be able to expose your home, along with great photos and a vivid description, to not only all of the agents in the area, but also to any of the prospective Buyers on the web. The exposure is so much more, due to the web distribution, than what an individual owner can do on his/her own. Additionally, a REALTOR will be pitching your home to like-minded REALTORS to spread the word (I closed a home today with my Buyer - we had been looking for 9 months! We found this home when another agent in my office pitched it in the sales meeting - before it even came on the market). The second reason is the same reason you hire an attorney to handle legal issues - the amount you spend could save you untold fees if something goes wrong. The relief of liability is worth every penny!

Now, I would suggest you consider a REALTOR over another licensee for a couple of reasons. First, we have a code of ethics that we have to abide by. If you feel wronged by a REALTOR, you have the right to have an arbitration hearing to investigate further. This is in addition to any potential penalties from the Colorado Division of Real Estate. Real estate agents do not offer this protection to you. Second, REALTORS typically have more training and more information at their fingertips to be able to help their clients. I don't know about you, but I want whoever is the most knowledgeable about a subject to be able to help me.

I wish you the best of luck in your sale. I will not tell you that you shouldn't sell your home yourself, but I would recommend finding a REALTOR, as it may just make your life so much easier, and safer.

Sean

PS - with inventory down right now, it's a pretty good time to have your home exposed to as many Buyers as possible - there's a good chance that he/she is out there. Listing on Friday, competing offers from two different agents Monday. If the Sellers had "listed" it themselves, these agents, and their Buyers, might not have even known about the home.
You may want to look at the statistics for For Sale By Owners. While you might get lucky, a high percentage of FSBO's eventually turn to a REALTOR (the caps are because I am referring to one who pays membership to NAR and commits to a high level of integrity and ethics - not all real estate agents are members) to handle the sale. A REALTOR can often sell the house at a higher price than a FSBO on their own. One reason is that buyers think they can get a better deal if there is no listing agent (cost to the seller). Yet most of the time a buyer agent brings the buyer anyway and the FSBO pays one agent about 2.8%. Another reason is that an agent will expose the home to many people, including other agents. There can also be legal risks that a non-professional might not be aware of.
How about interviewing a few agents and see whom you feel comfortable with?

I would be happy to meet with you to share ideas and see if you would want me to help.

Evie Cohen
RE/MAX Alliance
303-507-7001
Web Reference: http://evie.cohen@remax.net

Post it with http://www.postlets.com and your listing will be syndicated to many websites including Trulia.

Most agents can't even sell homes in this market. I wish you the best of luck.
Hello Home Buyer,
Trulia does not accept for-sale-by-owner listings. You must either be a real estate agent/Broker or landlord to post homes for sale or for rent on the site.

However; you may wish to post a blog about the property.

Zillow.com and Craigslist.com will accept owner listings.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
If you are a for sale by owner the post is not allowed, you can however try blogging about the property; if and when you do list with an agent he/she can post it for you, ask; or consider any flat fee realty company that feeds into the site.
I don't know why would you try to sell the home yourself. There is too much risk. You might as well sell with an agent to cover yourself incase something goes wrong.