Home Buying in Rowley>Question Details

Lfilippone, Home Buyer in Rowley, MA

Can a wife be added at closing?

Asked by Lfilippone, Rowley, MA Sat May 9, 2009

Hi, My husband found a nice rental property and is paying cash. He signed a P&S with just his name on it because he was in a hurry and did it through fax at his business, said can add me at closing. Is that true, we live in Mass and the prop is in NH

Answers

3
Lori Jeltema’s answer
It typically isn't a problem where I work but I am in VA and don't know MA laws..you will want to phone your closing attorney/title company asap on Monday. Explain to them how you want to take title. Don't wait till the closing table since everything is ordered and prepped in advance. There are most likely better qualified agents (located in MA) to address your question and may do so. Just remember to have your husband call the office Monday and clarify and give your info. Sometimes, one party ads the spouse to the title after closing but you have to go back and do it and it costs a little more.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 9, 2009
I had a Client with the exact scenario you are describing...the spouse was added at the last minute because he wanted her on the Deed. Anyone can be added to a Deed.
Your lender will have to approve it, as will the title company. Contact both on Monday.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 9, 2009