Home Buying in North Port>Question Details

Buyer1234, Home Buyer in North Port, FL

Can a verbal offer to purchase a home out weight a written offer?

Asked by Buyer1234, North Port, FL Mon Aug 31, 2009

Recently put in an offer to purchase the listing realtot took a verbal offer and refuse to accept our written offer, isn't this unethical? How can we pursue this?

Answers

8
Never! Verbal offers are not worth the paper they are NOT written on!

Faye Doyle, LLC
RE/MAX Alliance Group
2000 Webber Street
Sarasota, FL 34239
Fax: 941-954-5455
Email: fayedoylellc@gmail.com
Website: FayeDoyle.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 7, 2009
Verbal offers go no where, the title company must have a formal document "follow orders" seller and buyer. There are no terms, or conditions purchase a home is contractual agreement.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
It sounds as if there is more to this story......but as previously mentioned, your best course of action may be to make contact with the agent's broker.
Per the Florida "Statues of Fraud" all offers to be legal and binding they must be in writing!
Offers must be in writing to be legit. It could be that this Realtor is burnt out writing offers due to the rejected short sale offers but you have no deal until it is written on paper. As Realtors we have all written several offer that go nowhere but it has to be done. Once on paper you can verbalize a counter offer and once you come to an agreement that to has to be signed (saying that both parties are in agreement) and on paper. My suggestion would be to find another Realtor and make your written offer. You can turn that person into the Board of Realtors and to the State, it is a long process. I have been through a couple Ethics grievences (that I ahve filed against others and won), they are not fun, but remember "truth always prevails." If there is anything I can further do to help, please let me know.
Best wishes,
Kim : )
Kimberlie Slade, SRES, PMN, TRC
Seniors Real Estate Specialist
Women's Council of Realtors
2006 & 2007 Past Venice Chapter President
"2008 Chapter Mentor of the Year"
"2007 WCR National & Florida State Chapter of the Year"
"2007 WCR Chapter Business Women of the Year"
Corin Bay Real Estate, Marketing and Sales, Inc.
Kim@KimSlade.com
941-468-9843
Definately contact the broker. Florida law requires that all offers be submitted. If you don't get satisfaction fromm the broker, you can file a complaint with the Div of Realt Estate. http://www.MyFloridaLicense.com
The Agent concerned is acting in a most unethical manner,both to you and the owners of the property listed.There can be no contract in Law based on a verbal agreement.I Suggest you contact the Broker who employs this Agent and voice your concern.
Buyer1234,

The risk that Listing agent is taking is huge! Purchasing a home is done on a "legal contract" to protect all parties involved in the transaction. Verbal offers are unethical and do not constitute an "offer" to purchase until all parties have signed the contract.

The listing agent also has a "fiduciary" duty to protect their seller in all transactions. It puts their client at great risk to be accepting any offers without the legal contract.

I'm sure you're agent will know what and where to take this complaint. Mostly to their local Association of Realtors and the State Association of Realtors. In California, we report a "violation" through our associations and they follow-up with that particular agent.

Best of luck!
Web Reference: http://www.weberhomes.INFO