Home Buying in Santa Clara>Question Details

Hironmoy, Home Buyer in Santa Clara, CA

Can a power station and high voltage transmission lines near a house hazardous ?

Asked by Hironmoy, Santa Clara, CA Mon Jun 6, 2011

Answers

10
Hi Hironmoy

Yes they produce EMF that can be measured using a EMF meter from
Frys Electronics.

It generally can affect infants and small kids.

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/research/children/en/

It all comes down to proximity from the lines, check with PG&E, they do carry
out EMF tests.

As a buyer you can ask one to be carried out.

Perry
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 2, 2013
This is an item that you are best to ask an expert on. You need to google reports that say both good and bad about the High Voltage Transmission lines, as far as personal opinion, they scare me to death, look bad, and yes I tend to think there is some truth to the hazardous properties of them! That opinion is my personal one and does nt represent the opinions of other Realtors or Trulia.com for that fact!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
Hironmoy:

There are plenty of reports and studies on this subject. I'm not sure a conclusion to this question has ever been reached. As others have stated, this comes up quite a bit so I tabled this question to a Client who is an electrical engineer for an opinion, who wrote the following:

"In general, the power of the EM field rolls off with the square of the distance from the source. I think that I read somewhere that 300 feet is the region of concern. However, 60 Hz is very low frequency, and I really don’t think there is much merit to the health concern. Also, if you are within a foot of a power cord in your home or office, or even a wall with power running in it, you’ll be exposed to the same field strength (you have to be close though)."

Best, Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
Hironmoy:

Hi and thanks for your post. Studies done here in the United States and abroad would seem to provide some assurance that power lines are shielded to levels high enough to prevent health risks, but, as the others have already mentioned, the decision regarding whether to or not to live in these areas is yours.

If you have concerns, you can speak with the PG&E representatives by contacting them at http://www.pge.com or by calling 800-PGE-5000. PG&E provides both pamphlets and research data regarding the effects of RF on humans in the direct vicinity of power lines.

However, it should also be noted that there is enough concern about this topic to warrant hundreds of questions and voiced concerns about the proliferation of power lines around the home. So while there will be buyers who are perfectly satisfied with having power stations located near the home, there is also a larger number of buyers who are leery and dubious of the safety of these lines and transformer stations.

As always, your plan to purchase a home is best completed with the help and aid of a trained Realtor who can assist you. I know that you had considered hiring a Realtor after the last set of questions, and I'm hopeful that you have done so. Your best answers and the information about how these lines affect the saleability of the homes in the area are best answered by your professional Realtor.

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty-People's Choice
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
There's no definitive answer. There's some evidence on both sides of the argument.

Just recognize that, as a buyer, you should expect a substantial price reduction over similar houses not near power stations and high voltage lines. And recognize that when you want to sell that house, some people won't even consider it (because of the power station and transmission line) and others will expect a substantial price reduction over non-affected comps.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
I have dealt with this question at least a gazillion times in my business. O.k., maybe not a gazillion.....I could go on and on but the answers here are good. Bottom line: they will affect the value of the home whether they are dangerous, or not, because of the perception that they may be dangerous. Even if they didn't affect the value, why take a chance?
I recently looked to purchase a home for my family and the house we loved was close to high voltage power lines. After much research we decided not to buy it for two main reasons. First, the evidence of emf was inconclusive, which is to say that it may or may not exist. We would hate to move into the house and have our kids get cancer 5 years down he road. Even if it was unrelated, we didn't want to live our lives questioning ourselves. It is a low possibility, but one that we wanted to avoid.

Second, there was a clear impact on price and days on the market. Most of the houses in this development could not sell. Even if we did gt the price we wanted, we knew it would be hard to sell down type road.

You will need to make the decision that is best for you and your family, but keep in mind tha it will be harder to sell in the future, even at s reduced price.
Electromagnetic fields are a concern to many people. Currently, there is controversy over exactly what, if any, damage is caused by these fields. There is some evidence to suggest that exposure to electromagnetic fields may cause cancer, hormonal changes, and changes in behavior. Other studies have found no damage.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
I agree with Ron. The best thing you can do is research the issue, so you can make an educated decision as to whether the potential risk is worth it or not. Check out this link it may help you get started.
This is a delicate and dangerous question to answer. It has been asked and even litigated for more than 50 years.
I have read articles about Lawsuits, and Clinical studies about birth defects and cancer. I don't think there is a definitive answer out there.
We are required to disclose high voltage lines on the property.
But the ultimate decision is yours.