Home Buying in 33612>Question Details

Kadir Yaylaci, Home Buyer in Florida

Can a foreigner obtain residency buy buying a propert in the USA?

Asked by Kadir Yaylaci, Florida Wed Jan 26, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


I think it would be a good idea for our "leaders" to implement a new expedited immigration program for higher net worth immigrants... i.e. requiring a minimum $200k net worth...like Canada does. We could also require a minimum $100k home purchase within 12 months or they get booted back to their country of origin. It would immediately increase demand for Real Estate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
You go, Hitler!
Flag Mon Sep 16, 2013
U should try boot your humanity up a little, maybe just up to your level of money is everything, be best forall! U should be ashamed of your people =money or = nothing......USA is what itis because of the immigrants!!
Flag Mon Jan 21, 2013
Their is not a simple answer. In regarding to renting and or buying property in the U.S. (largely speaking -- there are a few exceptions) It is not the job of a seller nor a rental agent to determine if a person is a U.S. Citizen. I have rented to many non-US Citizens and they are excellant tenants. Having lived in several different countries, we should try to welcome them to the U.S. Of course, if you are concerned a future tenant would be deported -- you may wish to obtain additional deposit amount to cover any risk. I run a background check on all my prospective tenants and this issue would come to light and discuss it openly with a future tenant. They understand. Selling is totally different. Anyone may purchase property. Let's try to be a more open community and welcome those from other backgrounds. That is what made America great to begin with!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
Currently a foreigner can purchase property in the US, they just can't reside here for a period longer that six months.
Web Reference: http://truesarasota.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
There are many different ways to obtain residency, but buying property does not qualify you for residency. To learn about how to obtain residency, you can visit the U.S. immigration website at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 22, 2013
No, receiving a green card is a completely different process than buying a property in the US. It is not even necessary for you to visit the US in order to buy a property if you are a foreigner, it can all be done from your country of residence. If however, you do wish to visit the US before buying a property you can do so easily by applying for a temporary visitor’s visa (B1/B2).

Web Reference: http://www.globenetrealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 21, 2013
In order become a US resident you must apply for that application .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
Dear Kadir,

I think there is an expedited way to get permanent resident status if you buy a "business".

I can recommend you call a business broker and they may be able to give you the correct advice. Look at http://www.LoopNet.com

Hope this helps.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
No, purchasing property does not entitle you to residency status. If you think about it; if it were that easy there would be very little in the way of an “illegal immigration problem.”

Like Mott Korneiki who answered your question, I too have heard something about purchasing a business that employee a certain number of people jobs as a method of expediting citizenship, but do not know the details or even if what I heard, is true. I would also suggest speaking with an immigration specialists rather than looking for the answer on a website such as Trulia.

Good Luck.
Web Reference: http://NCHomesbyLarryT.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011

Speak to an immigration attorney about that. Like Bill mentioned below. NO, but details of immigration matters are best in the hands of professionals. I did hear about foreigners buying BUSINESSES that employ a minimum number of people and have a value in excess of a certain dollar amount may help a foreigner qualify.

Web Reference: http://bit.ly/fytslh
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
Bill is right. Purchase of a property in US does not lead to obtaining a residency.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
No...these are two entireely seperate issues. Anyone can buy property in the United States without a problem. To establish a residency, one would have to go through the Department of Immigration for greencards, citizenship, and visas.

For additional information consider previewing the following website:


0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 27, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer