Lenn Harley, Real Estate Pro in Maryland and Northern...

Can a family of 2 adults and 2 children buy a home for under $300K in Highland Park?

Asked by Lenn Harley, Maryland and Northern Virginia Wed May 16, 2007

Answers

4
What a typically horrible answer given by Judy. She shouldn't even have bothered to answer the question if median county prices is all she can refer to.

recent sales in 90042 zip code in the 2nd half of 2006 and this year show sales of Single Family homes range from $290K (5678 ALDAMA ST) to upwards of the low 600K. there are some buildings that sell for more, but they're mutlifamily units. There are some duplexes (i think that's what they are) that are selling usually in the 600K range but some are even lower than that. I can't speak for the conditions of these homes but I presume that on the low end, much work may be needed to get the house up to par with whatever living standards you are looking for.
Hello Lynn,

When you first asked this question, probably not but there are more and more homes in the 300 range in Highland Park. Many short sales and foreclosures so I think it's very doable but maybe a little over 300k.

Monique Carrabba
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 18, 2008
Yes there is, but you've got to act quickly when they come up. The area between ave 50 and ave 58 west of Figueroa has some prime properties around the 300k mark. I have written at least six offers on places under 325k in this area. Be forewarned, Highland park is still gentrifying and can be a little ghetto at time. Nonetheless, it is truly a great area and it's proximity to downtown LA and the Metro Gold Line ensure it will remain on the upward trend. And yes, Judy's answer was pretty lame.
I really don't think so. Median price in the county is now over $500,000.
Web Reference: http://www.judygraff.com