Homebuy'nfoo…, Home Buyer in 53703

Can a bedroom converted to a dining room still be called a bedroom?

Asked by Homebuy'nfools, 53703 Tue Apr 27, 2010

My husband and I are in the final stages of buying our first home and an issue has come up during the appraisal. The home was listed as a 2/3 bedroom; the seller had converted the 3rd bedroom into a dining room by partially knocking down a wall and making a pass through window. When we first saw the house, we realized the listing was a bit misleading, buy fell in love with it. Our buyers agent said not to worry that it is listed this way because we could put an egress window in the basement and create another "3rd" bedroom. We are finishing with the loan process and the appraisal listed it as a "3-bedroom" house; even though it is really only a 2-bedroom. After speaking with our lender we were told that it shouldn't be a problem that we need to worry about. Is it?

Answers

5
This is very interesting. I have a client who took his 3rd bedroom out for a formal dining room. It does still have a closet. I have no intention of calling it a bedroom since it does not have doors or privacy. I have suggested that when we go to sell it I feel he will have better showings and bring more $ if he converts it back to a bedroom by putting the doors back up and he is currently planning to do. I also personally have a rental that I have listed that my tenant took the formal living room and put in a free standing closet and is using it as a 3rd bedroom, however this home has a septic system for a 2 bedroom and I listed it as a 2 bedroom and stated that the current tenant is using the formal living room as a third bedroom in the comments, however again I listed it as a 2 bedroom home which it is. If you like the home and it suits your needs and resale in the future is not a concern and the lender and appraiser are ok then I personally would not worry. However I do advise my clients that a 2 bedroom does not generally sale as easy as a 3 bedroom which most home buyers seem to want even if they are using one as a home office.

Deborah Rigsbee Miller
Coldwell Banker HPW
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 27, 2010
Sure as long as the floor plan still makes sense and flows. If the room has a closet, like a bedroom would, it may be a little odd calling it a dining room. Also consider whether you are better off calling it a bedroom, depending on the number of bedrooms the house has, it may be better to have an additional bedroom vs. a dining room.
It sounds as if the third bedroom may be a s-t-r-e-t-c-h! The fact that the wall has been compromised may provide you with information on which to base a price adjustment.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 1, 2010
Bedrooms are with closets a room w/o a closet not consider as a bedroom .

If you like the home go forward with purchase.

Confer with tax roll determine how they count this other room

Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Apparently, this house fit your budget and needs better than any other 3-BR house without a dining room, or any other 2-BR house with a dining room, so I don't think you need to worry about it, the home satisfies your needs, I don't see a problem.

Just don't lose sight of the fact, when you go to sell, that it really is only a 2-bedroom house!