Home Buying in Benton City>Question Details

Jb, Home Buyer in 99336

Can a Seller deny or change the parcel/lot during negotiations even if asking price was accepted by us?

Asked by Jb, 99336 Wed Jun 11, 2008

w/o specifics......I am planning on purchasing 1/ 2 lots from a private seller (has seller agnt) from development/ that has only 2 houses on the existing 175 acres This is a rural area if that matters. The lots have been on the market for 3 years never changing the price ever. What the real issue is..There are two listings, one that includes the whole development and one that has the lots broke down with different prices ....I decided on 2 lots and offered only 5k less than asking price. The seller came back with no answer but countered with "buy the 2 lots you want, the one next to it for asking price and I will give you a 4th lot (pretty much unusable) for free". I couldnt afford to build a new house and make a payment on the 3 lots so I decided to say no to that and offer ASKING PRICE for one lot. The seller THEN came back and said no, he wants us to purchase 2 or more OR take a different lot that is near the already built houses with MUCH LESS of a view. Can a seller do this?

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

4
Up until you and the seller mutually agree on all the terms of the contract, everything is negotiable. It appears the seller is trying to make the deal as sweet as possible on his end by either dumping all the land on you, or selling you the least desirable parts first. Stick to your guns and only buy the lot(s) you want, at a price you're willing to pay. Just because the counteroffer for the 5K less than asking price on the 2 lots you wanted expired, I'd recommend going back with that deal again and see if the seller is still interested. I am curious if you're dealing with the listing agent, or if you have your own Realtor?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2008
Can you tell me.....Does the seller have the one lot that you want to purchase at full-price listed on the MLS with a listing agent?
Web Reference: http://www.key2yourhome.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2008
What you describe sounds like a failed negotiation. You may however want to ask an attorney about: "so I decided to say no to that and offer ASKING PRICE for one lot."

I'd suggest however that you either try again or move on.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2008
correction: "1 or 2 lots"

Also, after we decided to pass on the 3+1 offer, they came back with the offer I wanted of 2 lots for 5k less than asking price but we were unreachable on vacation and the offer expired by date
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 11, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer