Kirkelbee, Home Buyer in Jensen Beach, FL

Can Wingate & Associate Realtors charge a flat fee in addition to a broker commission?

Asked by Kirkelbee, Jensen Beach, FL Sun May 2, 2010

Answers

6
Were these fees up front at time of listing? You can always refuse extra fees and even the commision percentage before you sign afterwards you are commited to them upon successful sale! Shop Realtors always and interview each to see what they have to offer some may say hey I can go as low as 4% on conmission but have bad selling histories and do little advertising! Be smart and never just listen to one Realtor and then jump on their advice!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 6, 2010
As long as its disclosed to you and you sign off on it.

Many Realtors are not being paid anywhere near full commission by the banks and sometimes sellers. The buyers use our services at no charge typically.
We have to do miles of paperwork and the research that goes into finding that home for you requires many hours.
There is behind the scenes activity that goes on that you may not be aware of in between phone calls, driving, research, showings, negotiations and don't forget licensing fees, board fees, MLS site fees, marketing fees, broker fees. We are running a business. Many times we don't get paid at all for months or over years of work.
My rule of thumb is if its an "easy" deal with limited time involved, I do not charge extra. But if there are many hours and many offers made ( which is common these days as the market is rebounding and there are in certain cases, multiple offers) then I do charge an additional amount.

Think of your boss asking you to work for a week or a month with only a quarter of your paycheck to be paid.......
With all due respect I work days, nights and weekends and even on my vacation. This is not an easy job.
You mean in addtion to the 6% commission, the realtors are adding on an additional fee? Gosh, this is why I do not like real estate agents. (And yes, I know they are not all bad.)

$200,000 home x 6% = $12,000. That's not enough?????
Many firms charge flat fees for specific services in addition to the commission, which is based only on the sale of the house. Since there are very strict rules about price-fixing, which is against the law--real estate companies can pretty much charge anything they want...the question is: what will the market pay?

Keeping in mind what the current marketplace has done to business on the whole, maybe it's not such a bad thing to have some of the services pulled out into flat-fee basis--as long as those services are then discounted from the commission.

I personally do not cater to the notion of charging a buyer's representaiton fee, but many brokers do, because there really is no other way to keep a buyer from changing their mind after hours and hours have been invested into a home search--not to mention gas!
It clearly depends if you signed an agreement agreeing to this fee. They can not add fees onto an agreement after the fact. It is up to you to read any agreement before signing. If you do not agree or do not undetand, then dont sign it. All fees are negoitiable but negotiating time is before you sign it.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Some brokerage firms and sales associates do charge a flat fee to represent buyers in a transaction (usually $200 to $300 or more). There is a question as to whether this additional fee is appropriate unless the brokerage can demonstrate what additional service was actually provided which is over and above what a typical Real Estate professional representing a buyer would normally perform. Any flat fee at the least should be disclosed up front and the additional service described to the buyer. Keep in mind that many Realtors do not charge any fee to represent a buyer and are compensated by the seller in the transaction.

Darla Schroeder, Realtor, GRI, e-PRO
Century 21 Real Estate Associates
Madeira Beach, FL 33708