Home Buying in Indianapolis>Question Details

Robint, Home Buyer in Indianapolis, IN

Can I visit homes/schedule showings without having a realtor rep? We are not quite ready to buy, but working on it....

Asked by Robint, Indianapolis, IN Tue May 8, 2012

Answers

12
Yes, a Realtor needs to make the appointments for showings. I have clients who are considering making a move, and just want to understand what they can get for their money and to see homes in the areas they are considering, even if they're not 100 percent ready to move. Sometimes this pre-buying research helps buyers set realistic expectations. I've worked with some people who thought they were ready to move, but based on their current wants, needs and budgets, I've advised them to consider waiting in order to save more money for a downpayment. Others have started looking thinking they would wait six months, but then find thier dream home, and accelerate their timetable. The important thing for you to do is to talk to a couple of agents to find someone who is willing to work together with you in partnership and be patient with you, if you aren't ready to buy immediately.

I'd be happy to provide you some questions you might want to ask agents. I'd be happy to talk to you about seeing some initial homes. Keep in mind that a real estate agent can show you any house that's listed for sale regardless of the real estate company. So, there's no need to call every company to see that company's listings. You probably already knew that, but I've found a lot of first-time buyers didn't realize that's how it works.

Good luck in your research, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Laura
OMG, my answer below is full of typos. I apologize for that.
Flag Tue May 8, 2012
I really appreciate you all typing all these answers out. The situation you described is precisely where we are. We have resolving credit issues, and establishing good credit. We want to kind to kind of see the market to gauge what to expect. The agent I contacted agreed to meet me, but asked if I had a realtor. I do not... yet. I just don't want the pressure. I am not ready to buy yet.
Flag Tue May 8, 2012
The best way to visit homes if you are not ready to buy is through open houses. Although you are not quite ready you could meet with an agent to get some ideas as to what you need to do to get ready for a purchase. Knowing your timeline the agent would not pressure you but provide you with useful tools until such time.
if you are looking for a house in fishers : call our broker !! http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/13214-Summe…
Good Afternoon:

If you are just browsing the best avenue is to contact the listing agent directly. You may want to keep an eye out for advertised open houses. You may just find that a property you've wanted to view is open to all interested parties to view.

As an agent, I work with numerous buyers that are still trying to determine what they want in a home and may still be 3-6 months out from being able to purchase. It does help to view some homes and get a feel for whats out there and better determine what you are looking for. As Laura has stated, I would encourage you to interview agents and find one you feel most comfortable with. We are full of knowledge and can provide you answers to any questions you may have.

Good luck to you on your new home search! I hope my answer was helpful.

Thanks.

Mallorie Wilson
Associate Broker
Century 21 Diversified
malloriewilson.com
317-590-3434 direct
317-585-7748 office
Good Afternoon:

Thanks.

Mallorie Wilson
Associate Broker
Century 21 Diversified
malloriewilson.com
317-590-3434 direct
317-585-7748 office
Good question! You can always cal the listing agent and ask to see the property. Most will pre-qualify your first to see if you are in a financial posdition to purchase a home, some will not. A good way to see what is avalible at what price is to go to open houses on the weekend. Most listings also have video tours online.

Hope this helps.
Ropnald
You can start by visiting open houses; but in all honesty, it's best to interview realtors to find out who is best suited to help you in your preferred area and price range. Appointments have to be with realtors, mostly for security purposes. We all work on straight commission, and you will get better service if you select one agent and stick with him or her. Most of us don't mind if it takes a while, as long as you are loyal. If one realtor doesn't work out, you can always make a change, but please do not work with more than one at a time. It is repetitious and confusing. Best wishes.
Hi Robin, Homes on the MLS Do require a rep to show the home.What area are you interested in looking?
Brooks Real Estate Services LLC
845 E 65th St
Indianapolis IN 46220
The Broad Ripple Broker
317-397-3311
Thanks for the tip. We are looking on the east side, Lawrence and Warren Twshp..
Flag Tue May 8, 2012
Good question. You do need a Realtor present to show any home listed with a Realtor. Sellers often spend hours preparing a home for showing, so it is very important that when you do begin to look that you are pretty close to being set to purchase. The way I work, is that we sit down and discuss needs and wants in a home, go over the buying process, and help set you up for financing should you need it. Once you are preapproved and within at least a few months of purchasing, that is when we will start to head out and look at homes. The buying process really starts with a meeting with a Realtor and a financial institution. Once that is complete, all else will flow from there. Open houses are a great way to somewhat 'curb' your appetite to see what is out there. Plus, they are a great way to scout for the right buyer's agent.

I hope this helps!
Thank you!
Flag Tue May 8, 2012
Hi.
A good way to visit homes w/o scheduling times w/an agent...look during Open House times. A Realtor will be at the open house and you can look around w/o committing to that particular agent - plus it is a good way to get to know an agent and see if you want to work with them in the future.

Carpenter has a great Open House schedule in every Sunday paper.

Have fun and let me know if I can help further

Claire-Anne
caikman@callcarpenter.com
345.6640
Thanks for the suggestion. The home I want to see is bank owned, so no open houses are offered.
Flag Tue May 8, 2012
Any home listed for sale w/ a realtor must be shown be a realtor. It is a free service for you, the buyer. Most realtors, myself included would be happy to help you with your home search, regardless of timing. Good luck with your search. Please let me know if I can assist you.

Julie Simnick
Realtor, Century 21 Scheetz
317-495-4796
Jsimnick@c21scheetz.com
I appreciate your kindness. Thank you!
Flag Tue May 8, 2012
Sellers will want someone there with you for the showing. It just provides more comfort knowing a real estate professional is there. I am sure you are a very trustworthy person but the sellers wouldn't know that. You are welcome to contact me if you would like to see homes. My cell # is 317.496.0027.
I totally understand your point. I will keep this in mind in the future.
Flag Tue May 8, 2012