Home Buying in Manchester>Question Details

Ames, Home Buyer in Manchester, NH

Can I view a property w/ the seller's agent but then decide to higher my own representation after if I like the property?

Asked by Ames, Manchester, NH Wed Mar 14, 2012

Answers

13
Hello Ames,

While the general answer is yes, you can work with your own agent after the listing agent showed you the property, it's not so simple. The question of "procuring cause" will probably brought up by the listing agent. The listing agent will say - "I was showing this property to this buyer, so I need to be paid". Your buyer's agent will be saying "But I brought the contract to you". The "discussion" will start about who gets paid what...and you'll be in the middle, with the seller following right behind you.

Not fun. Maybe consider buying another property with your own agent?

Just thinking...

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
What you need to know is that a listing agent represents the Seller. They do not have a signed agreement with you to keep your best interest at heart. They could tell the seller everything you talk to them about. Especially your financial ability and motivation to buy. Do yourself a favor, call an agent who will represent you as your Buyer agent. You can call me for more valuable benefits to having a Buyer agent working for YOU.
It is perfectly okay to do this. I agree that it can cause a little 'surprise' for the seller's agent when you come back with representation if you decide to persue a particular property but it is perfectly okay to look at hopes without a buyers agent. In this early stage, it is more about you gaining access to the active listings and seeing what you like. A buyer's agent may be able to point out subjecctive points about each property but it has been my experience that you, as the home buyer, really need to see property and get a sense for what is out there first.

Link

http://www.nhfinehomes.com
" a little surprise for the seller's agent" , hehehe . Sure no problem......
Flag Thu Apr 26, 2012
You could certainly do that however you should know if you see the home first without a buyer agent, the cost of that buyer agent would then most likely be paid by you. In most cases the buyer agent gets paid a fee offered by the listing agent through MLS. Some buyers are perfectly comfortable working with listing agents, it is done by expereinced buyers and investors all teh time as there is some advantages. For first time buyers or if you are not comfortable, you should hire the buyer agent before looking at any properties. If you need some up please feel free to contact me.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Of course you can. It is recommended that you do have your own representation.

Cheryl Cummings
Prudential Verani Realty
(603) 521-4275
You can do this but it will most likely make someone not happy. If you are going to hire your own agent you should do so before you start previewing properties.
Ames, if you want a buyer's agent to represent you, hire one before looking at properties. If you have already seen the property, call the seller's agent and inform them that you would prefer your own representation.
If you would like personal representation, not sure why one would consider such an idea....
You should dance with whoever you bring to the prom.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
Ames, not a black and a white question so unfortunately there isn't a black and white answer. A listing agent may show you the property directly and then you may choose to work with another agent to have to him/her represent you in the home purchase proces. however the listing agent might not contribute toewards the buyer's agent fee, which means you will have to pay the fee directly.

have you already seen the property? if so, feel free to call me to discuss your specific situation. 603-289-3509.
It's like doing things backwards. Why WOULD you want to do it this way? Why hire a buyer agent AFTER the fact when the buyer agent hasn't showed you the property nor done any work in helping you find the property.
yes you can hire your own representation...Generally a buyers rep works for a percentage of the listing agreement, often costing the buyer little or no out of pocket for representation...it usually comes out of the closing...The buyer agent DOES NOT owe money to the listing agent, contrary to the other reply, and no money is changed hands for showings
You can certainly do this:
Understand that the Buyer's Agent you choose will owe a % to the Listing Agent for showing you the property. But this is between them, really not your concern.
This is part of the agreement that Realtors have with each other.

Good luck and may God bless