Home Buying in Perth Amboy>Question Details

Raiders, Home Seller in 08861

Can I use the sale price of similar properties to appeal this year's property taxes?

Asked by Raiders, 08861 Wed Feb 22, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Yes you can. Call your realtor and ask them to provide you with comparable sales from last year. If there is great discrepancy between your assessed value and current sales in your area then try it. I have assisted many of my clients with this who were successful in getting a reduction. I'm sure your realtor will be happy to help you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 24, 2012
Again I'll stress that the comparables must be between October 2010 and October 2011. This is from the State Division of Taxation.

"As the appellant, the burden is on you to
prove that your assessment is in error,
unreasonable, excessive, or discriminatory.
You must suggest a more appropriate value
by showing the Tax Board the market value of
the property as of October 1 of the pretax
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 22, 2012
Yes, you can. You need comparable properties in your town that are similar in size. I would not go back one year, unless you had to. 6 months is more appropriate.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 22, 2012
The home sales figures must be between October, 2010 and October, 2011. Check the link below, it's about Little Egg Harbor tax appeals, but the tax appeal process is set by state law so it applies statewide. It was written last year, so bear in mind the October 2010 and October 2011 dates.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 22, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer