Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

Renee, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

Can I use different realtor??

Asked by Renee, Seattle, WA Mon Mar 29, 2010

I offered a house one week ago; however I decided to cancel that transaction because of the inspection of this property. I've signed a contract with my current realtor for this property. But this realtor is not patient and too slow. I wanna have different realtor to help me to offer different houses. Is that ok???

Answers

17
By the sounds of it, it appears you are free and clear to choose another agent. If you signed a buyer's agency agreement you should cancel it before moving on. It's unfortunate for the realtor you were working with however you deserve the best service. If only all brokers and realtors/agents operated off the Nordstrom's theory we wouldn't see as much disappointment like yours. Thank you for sharing Renee
I agree with Tonya. You should be free and clear to move on to another agent if you choose to. It sounds as if you only signed the agreement for that property or used him/her for that property. If that is the case, then you are fine, if not, then make sure you read the agreement and cancel in writing. I am all for buyer agency agreements, and what Tonya describes as the Nordstrom approach is a valid one in my opinion. However if you are not being served properly, then find someone who fits your style and speed. I would not however, advocate jumping from agent to agent on a per house basis. This theory is completely flawed and basically means you are willing to give up the competitive advantage of working with the best on every house, and give in to working with someone subpar on one or more of them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 30, 2010
Buying real estate is all about contracts and agreements. This is the perfect time to start reading what you sign. This question can't be answered unless we know exactly what you signed and the terms included in it.

You can always fire your agent and they can always fire you. Either way, the question is, "At what cost?".

Ask your agent what your responsibilities are to him/her. Communication is the key here...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 29, 2010
Impatient, but slow. Interesting.

Anyway, Renee, it all depends on your contract. Talk it over with "Impatient, but slow." Maybe they'll be glad to get rid of you, too!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 29, 2010
Just make sure that there is not a buyer's agency in place and if so cancel it before finding another Realtor. You might also interview a few to get their working style, etc.
Web Reference: http://www.cooperjacobs.com
Renee, I think the other agents have answered your question very well.

I too wonder about the agent who is not patient, yet too slow ... :-). Maybe you're just needing more guideance than you think?

Take some time once you've read your agency relationship contract and have properly terminated your agreement with your first agent to interview and choose a new agent. You might find that your first agent turns out to be the one you want to keep working with, so try to be friendly and professional about the discussion of leaving that working relationship and/or starting it again.
Renee,
You signed a contract. The first stop is to read it carefully and ask questions. You may want to contact the agent's broker, who is ultimately responsible for enforcing the contract. The other advice offered here is great and it would be worth your time to read it as well.

You are welcome to work with another agent to search for the home you want. Finding someone who understands your needs and will work with you to meet those needs is what I think you want.
Yes. If you signed a Buyer/Broker agreement you will be able to cancel it - in writing. The agent may be technically entitled to a commission should you decide to purchase any of the properties that s/he has already shown you even after cancellation. If there is no written agreement you should just notify him/her that you have decided to move on.

Best of luck going forward,
Mark
Web Reference: http://www.homehounds.com
Renee,

You do not want to work with an agent that is too slow and pushing you to buy a house. If you have a written agency agreement with them, you should cancel it in writing prior to picking another agent. Otherwise, I would just call/email them about your intentions. My guess is if they were not being patient, that they might not have had an agreement with you and thus were not as committed to you as they would have been if they had. They just wanted to make a sale. Most of the better agents only work with clients that sign a written agreement with them so that things are clear from day one about expectations, etc.

As I have suggested in past posts, and will continue to suggest in the future, that as a buyer you Google every agent that responds to your question here on Trulia, learn as much as you can about who they are online, read their client testimonials, so you know what their clients are saying about them, and then give us each a call and just ask us why we think you should work with us instead of another agent. Then, pick the best fit for you and let them go to work for you with the skill and knowledge that they have. I hope to hear from you soon.
Hi Renee, yes, by all means if you do not feel that you are well served, then move on and find yourself an agent that works the way you do. You've gotten good advice on what to do to cover yourself and frankly ensure that your new agent is paid.

Good luck, go get yourself a great house!!

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Yes! You can work with whom ever you choose.... before enlisting the help of another agent, you must first write a letter to the agent and their managing broker expressing your intentions to rescind your buyer's agency contract, then you are free to choose an agent of your liking.

Happy home-hunting & best of luck to you!

Phoebe
phoebe@SheSellsSeattle.com
That's a great question, I'm sure one of the many knowledgeable realtors here can answer. I'd like to add to your question, what is the standard practice for buyer's agents and signing exclusive representation contracts.

I know that it is standard when selling a home but I don't recall ever signing a committment when I chose a realtor for my last purchase.
Sure, you can use anyone you want as long as you didn't sign a buyer's agency agreement with him/her. Hopefully you would know if you did.

And if you do change Realtors, even though this didn't work out, just be sure to let them know right away. It may seem like they are impatient and not fast enough, but I would bet they are working harder for you than you think. It's getting busy out there and it would be good kharma to let that person know asap not to put any more energy into this.

You can always choose to work with another Realtor. However, if you have signed a buyer-brokerage agreement with your agent (different than a purchase & sale agreement), then you may be obligated to pay your current agent a commission.

If you have no agreement which obligates you to your current agent then you are free to work with any agent you choose.

Ray Akers
The question is, have you signed a "Buyer Broker" contract with the Realtor you have been working with? If so, you will need to cancel that agreement.

If you have not signed a contract with the agent then you are free to work with whichever Realtor you choose. Purchasing a home is a very emotional experience and I understand that buyers need an agent with patience and yet a sense of urgency to get you the very best deal possible. I would suggest you look for an agent with an ABR (Accredited Buyer Representative) Designation. That agent has completed a course of study that demonstrates a higher skill level in representing buyers.

You might have a conversation with your current agent and lay out your expectations in no uncertain terms. Sometimes it can be a communications issue.

Good Luck

Marcy Spieker, ABR, GRI, CDPE
Associate Broker
RE/MAX Metro Realty
Web Reference: http://www.SpiekerHomes.com
You should have the right to work with whomever you choose. I would however notify your current agent in writing that you are choosing to work with another agent moving forward. That way there is no confusion and is a simple point of courtesy.

Best of Luck.
Hi Renee, It depends, but is most likely ok. Did you sign a buyer's agency agreement with your current Realtor? If not, and you are offering on a different, then it should be ok. Even if you signed one, you may be able to cancel it. Like doctors and lawyers all agents are not equal. There is no substitute for experience.
I would be happy to answer any questions about your situation, and or my services.

Jeff Mann
Top Local Agent
Broker 20 Years
206-362-7000