Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

Judy Archer, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

Can I sue my realtor for giving me bad advice and costing me the property I wanted?

Asked by Judy Archer, Houston, TX Fri Jul 25, 2014

I was bidding on a lot and the seller returned a price that was slightly less than the listed price. I told my realtor that I would buy at the new price and he convinced me to bid lower since it was a cash sale. I subsequently lost the property within 24 hours to another buyer. Can I sue the realtor for essentially costing me the property I wanted?

Answers

4
You can sue anybody for anything.
Of course you will need to prove material loss.
And prove that the agent 'compelled' you to submit the offer.
And prove the price was the ONLY factor.

And in the end, prevailing is less likely than a snowball fight in Key West.
But I understand. We need to find someone to blame.
And the only face you see is your REALTOR.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 25, 2014
It's a shame that you lost the property. Your Realtor was trying to help you save money with his advice. And advice is just that... Advice.

You are under zero obligation to take it, and you make the final decision. Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to follow that advice. You are the decisionator! So the only person you can successfully sue for costing you the property is yourself.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
You will want to consult with a lawyer licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of PA. This is not a question a Realtor can answer without giving you legal advice. I would be happy to give you some names of attorneys in the area if you would like or you can look on Avvo.com.
For one reason or another, it was not meant to be. I'm sure you'll be much happier with your next selection.