Home Buying in Fennville>Question Details

Mia, Home Buyer in Fennville, MI

Can I still make an offer on a house that my realtor said has an offer on it and that its going to go into pending stage? can I out bid them??

Asked by Mia, Fennville, MI Wed Feb 23, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

3
Hi Mia,

If the home seller already accepted the offer there isn't anything you can do.

It sounds like your agent reached out to the listing agent and found out that the property had an offer on it and the seller had agreed to the terms. The property was going to be placed Under Agreement.

At this point, the seller would have had to hold off on the other offer to see what your offer was. Maybe it would be better, maybe it would be worse.

If I was working for the seller and the offer was pretty decent, I would be hesitant to introduce another buyer into the picture. The home seller could end up with no buyers as an effort is made to play them off each other for a better offer. Potential buyers will walk away from a home that already has an offer on it. "I'm not going to pay more money just because someone else wants it" is commonly heard.

If the deal with buyer 1 falls apart, you may have the opportunity to purchase the property. As advised by the other agents, you can always place a backup offer.

In this situation, I would want to know why it fell apart. Maybe a major problem with the home was found that the sellers wouldn't fix...etc. It could be something that would also keep you from wanting to purchase the home.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Joe Finnerty
484-241-1641
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc
Lehigh Valley, PA
610-865-7776
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 24, 2011
Mia,
Once an offer is accepted by all parties, you generally can't out bid the previous buyer.
If there are any contingencies in the other offer, and you have a strong back up offer in place, the seller may use the buyer’s contingencies to your advantage. It really doesn't happen often, but if you don't have a back up offer you don't have any chance. If you love this house and are willing to be patient, it may be worth a try, just don't get your hopes up too high.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 24, 2011
You could possibly submit a back up offer which would kick in if the accepted offer fails to close.
Web Reference: http://topbrainerdagent.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 23, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer