Thew Hale, Home Buyer in Tualatin, OR

Can I speed up the foreclosure process?

Asked by Thew Hale, Tualatin, OR Tue Nov 6, 2012

I've been eyeing a distressed property, hoping to make an offer before it foreclosed. Now I'm too late. Do I have to wait for it to go to auction? Can I contact the bank directly?

Answers

7
You can contact the bank directly, but it's like navigating through a maze. Still, even though you contact them, they won't deal with you until after it's officially foreclosed. Even then, there may be a long period of time for them to sort out their legal title, so they may not deal with you for months. Your best bet is to find a Realtor who is familiar with selling REO property to help you in the process. I am not saying this for my own benefit because I would not be the person to take this on, since I am not even in your area, and am no expert on REO property in my area either! I have done it enough to know that you really have to know what you are doing. So, go find yourself an expert. Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 6, 2012
It will depend on if it is a local bank where you can walk in and talk to a live person or if you have to deal with a large bank via phone. If it is local you will do much better than if it is one of the big banks. Good luck with that one!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 6, 2012
The bank wont usually work with an individual buyer. In my experience a buyer will need to wait until they list it on the market unless you can get the owner of record to with their bank and let them know there is a buyer interested. Not much I have heard of that you can do to speed it up.
I had been in contact with the owners, and they didn't mention that the property was foreclosing this quickly. This morning, when I drove past, there was a landscaper there who said he had been hired by the bank...
Only the owner of record on a recorded deed can enter into a contract to sell the property. IF a local bank foreclosed and is now the owner you may be able to talk to a real person. There are a lot of possibilities and a Realtor with the SFR or CDPE designation could be a good resource to represent you.
I don't believe there is any way to speed it up nor contact the bank asset manager. Your best bet is to keep watching RMLS for it to be listed.
The Bank will not deal with private individuals directly:
They are funny about that; they don't want their Escrows to fail.
They are paying for Realtors, and they want the Buyer's represented.
Yes, you will have to wait;

Interesting; you said you were "too late", but you said it hasn't gone to Auction;
Don't you realize that the Auction, (Trustee Sale) is the last step in the foreclosure:
Was it LISTED as a Shortsale?
Was there a Listing Agent?
If so, have your Realtor contact the Listing Agent and see if you can still make an Offer.