Home Buying in Bullhead City>Question Details

Susan Lanphe…, Home Buyer in Kingman, AZ

Can I recover my home inspection fees when the property fallls out of escrow due to sellers negligence?

Asked by Susan Lanphear, Kingman, AZ Wed Mar 20, 2013

Answers

6
Susan: I would ask your agent that question. If the sale does not go through, the agent does not collect a commission in almost all cases so the agent has a financial incentive to see the sale go through. If the agent says to talk to an attorney, I would find another agent.
This would be a question for your attorney. Realtors cannot handle these types of questions.
No, of course not.

I do sympathize with you, Susan, in having the deal go sideways because of the seller. The fact is, real estate sales agreements almost never put the seller in jeopardy for not closing the transaction.

However - the seller is almost certainly liable to pay a brokerage fee, in which case you can ask your broker to reimburse you for your costs, which is entirely reasonable, given that they're getting paid for a deal that didn't close and they'll get paid again when you actually close on the next one.

There is nothing in the purchase contract that addresses this but I recommend that you talk to your Realtor & see if the Seller's Realtor will work with you. Hard to answer honestly without knowing all the details of your transaction. If you want to contact me with specifics, I will do my best to direct you to the appropriate parties to try to resolve professionally!

Always sad to hear about situations like this, it hurts the legitimate honest Realtors & leaves clients feeling lost & unsure about trusting the next situation.

Sorry for your situation,
Gaylene Wood
Parkway Place Real Estate
The inspection fee is due and payable to the inspection company at time of service. t is also non refundable by the inspection company. They charge a fee for the inspection and are due to be paid regardless of the report findings.

Now, if the seller refuses to make requested repairs, and as a result the deal fall through the buyer may be able to get return of their deposit, but getting the seller to reimburse the buyer the cost of the inspection would be a hard task.

Best of luck to you!!!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
This is more of a legal question. I would suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney.