Home Buying in San Leandro>Question Details

Hamlin, Home Buyer in San Leandro, CA

Can I qualify for an FHA loan after filing for divorce?

Asked by Hamlin, San Leandro, CA Sun Oct 14, 2012

Does my divorce need to be finalized to qualify for an FHA loan? I am not currently a homeowner.

Answers

10
Contact your attorney and a Lender, Ohio is a Dower state, so I would think for your best interest the divorce should be done before closing.
Only if you are applying for an FHA loan and you want to be solo on the loan, if it's not final with the final decree you will have your spouse's debt included. Hope that helps you.
I would call a local lender or mortgage broker and talk with them. There's no way any of us here can tell you yes or no based on your question. Good luck!
Hi Hamlin,
You should be able to, as well as possibly qualify for a First Time Homebuyer Grant of up to $10,000 to purchase the new home. Please contact me for more information on how I can assist you.

Julie A. Horvath
Area Manager
3763 Attucks Dr.
Powell, OH 43065
NMLS ID: 563029
866.901.3570 phone
julieh@northpointe.com
Hi Hamlin

Its an important question.You should get answer from any reliable reverse mortgage company. I have a reverse mortgage which name is reverse mortgage lenders direct. They are very helpful. You can get right answer from their by search

http://www.reversemortgagelendersdirect.com/california-rever…
http://www.reversemortgagelendersdirect.com/no-fee-reverse-m…
http://www.reversemortgagelendersdirect.com/reverse-mortgage…
http://www.reversemortgagelendersdirect.com/misconceptions-r…
Your divorce does not need to be finalized for any loan.

With FHA, the credit of a nonborrowing spouse, however, does need to be obtained. The lender will factor the spouse's outstanding monthly payments into your ratios. The quality (credit scores) will not be taken into consideration.

The estranged spouse will need to sign a Interspousal Deed (Quit Claim Deed), to forfeit any of their interest in the property. As a community property state, any proprty obtained while married is considered joint property. Thus, the need for the deed.
It doesn't need to be finalized, but since you are in California (a community property state) if you are applying for an FHA loan while married then your spouse's credit will be checked to include their debt payments into your debt ratio.

If your income cannot qualify you for both your spouse's debt payments & your own debt payments, but you would qualify if you don't include your spouse's debt payments, then getting divorced would solve the issue of being able to qualify. When you have been divorced, a copy of the divorce decree needs to be provided to determine if you are required to pay alimony, child support or other maintenance payments to your ex-spouse, as those payments will be included to determine what you can qualify for. If you are going to be receiving alimony, child support or other maintenance payments then in order to use that to qualify the payments must be received for the first three years of the mortgage as well as providing acceptable evidence that payments have been received during the last 12 months, such as cancelled checks, deposit slips, tax returns, or court records. Periods less than 12 months may be acceptable, provided we can adequately document the payer’s ability and willingness to make timely payments.

Shane Milne | Lending in all 50 states | NMLS #81195
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
Yes, when the divorce is not final. you will Not be able to get any approval till you come clean to be solo in Mortgage.
and is not hurt to see FHA approved lender now to find out what is best for you and to check your current credit report result .
Hamlin,

You need to talk to a mortgage professional to get the answer to your question. Having a divorce does not directly affect your qualification for a mortgage. Your credit score, income and assets are what are important. Review of your situation by a mortgage professional will let you know where you stand.
Hi Hamlin,

Have you spoken with a Mortgage Professional yet? I do not have enough information to answer this question however, I will add that FHA is a great program that will allow for less than perfect credit and less than 20% down. You may also want to look at a conventional program with lender paid mortgage insurance. This may help if you are worried about qualifying.

Call me for a full Pre-Approval. I can guide you on the process and give you a few options to consider!

Ivan Diaz
Home Mortgage Professional
(415) 271-7740 direct/cell
idiaz@lhfinancial.com