Home Buying in Malibu>Question Details

Ohiosooner, Home Buyer in Malibu, CA

Can I purchase Earthquake insurance on a condo in Rey de Copus Malibu Villas?

Asked by Ohiosooner, Malibu, CA Sun May 23, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Cyndi Harris’ answer
Hi Ohiosooner,

I would say speak to your insurance agent to make sure. They may have certain criteria that has to be met and may need to contact the HOA to get the most current information. If you are looking to purchase a in Malibu or any of the surrounding area, feel free to contact me and I can email you a list of properties that fit your criteria.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 8, 2010
Steve is correct.....A little advice from an agent that is actually in the area every day...if you have not purchased there yet....DONT.....the HOA is considered the worst right after the Civic Center Way HOA....If you want to stop by my open house at http://pacificgreatestates.com/2315liveoakmeadowsroad.htm
I will be there from 1-5pm (serving Cookies & Brownies) so if you stop by...I will have my laptop with me and can show you all the HOAs in Malibu...and which ones are better than most....and much more strategically priced.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun May 23, 2010
Hi Ohiosooner,

I’m not in your area and I am not familiar with the Rey de Copus Malibu Villas specifically. However, in general, you really only have the jurisdiction to decide to purchase insurance for your personal items within a condo.

Typically, the Lender requires an HO6 policy, which is designed for the owners of condos and includes coverage for the part of the building owned by the insured and for the property housed within. You may also be asked to obtain insurance that covers such specific things as the cabinets, sinks, toilets, etc.)

The HOA has the jurisdiction over the "walls out" insurance and they make the decision on whether earthquake insurance will be carried as well. I have only come across one HOA that carried the latter in the SF Bay Area.

Best, Steve
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun May 23, 2010
Did u buy a condo yet there? That whole hoa has major fees... The current maintenance is over 1000 ! If you have just purchased it....statefarm can help you get liability and coverage for interior valuables....if something hapens with the actual structure the HOA is responsible!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun May 23, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer