Home Buying in Pelham>Question Details

lisahgiles, Home Buyer in Birmingham, AL

Can I have my husband co-sign a mortgage with me, even though he has bad credit?

Asked by lisahgiles, Birmingham, AL Wed Oct 17, 2012

I have good credit and have never owned a home, but my income is not high and I've only been at this job for a few months. However, my husband's income is over 70k, but his credit is bad because of a recent bankruptcy. Is there any chance at all that we could ever qualify to buy a home? I'm so tired of renting!

Answers

3
Aaron Sims’ answer
As stated earlier the bankruptcy needs to be at least 2 years old, how bad is your husbands credit? I can give you the contact information to 2-3 lenders in the Birmingham area if you'd like. If the bankruptcy is more than 2 years old a couple of them have some credit repair people that they recommend using also. Best of luck,
Thanks!
When you apply with a mortgage broker they will pull the borrower and the co-borrowers credit from the three credit bureaus and take the middle score of the lowest borrower. So to answer your question, your husbands score may be too low to qualify. The bankruptcy needs to be at least 2 years from the discharge date and has some re-established credit that will improve the redit score.
Hope this helps
Larry Hunter
Home Mortgage of America
Go speak to a lender, or two. Asking here will never get you a 100% reliable answer. The lender will have to decide based on what they find out about you and your credit, debts, job history, etc. A co-signer with poor credit is not much of a co-signer, but maybe it is doable. Ask the lender.