Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Lora Luton, Other/Just Looking in San Diego, CA

Can I get an American mortgage while living abroad? Where do I find a realtor with experience dealing with foreign purchasers?

Asked by Lora Luton, San Diego, CA Mon Aug 27, 2012

I am a US citizen who has never lived in the States and therefore has no credit there. I would like to buy an investment property while still living abroad. Are there American institutions that will give me a mortgage? If so, which ones? Should I enlist the help of a realtor beforehand?

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Lora,

I can help you with this process step by step. Please feel free to call or email me when you get the chance.


Simon Saran
Summit Realty Group
Cell: 858-705-8397
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 5, 2012
Yes ,there are ways you can obtain a mortgage without US credit.However you would have to show credit in the country where you are residing, as well proof of income and funds for down payment.I have a great lender that can assist you with all you lender questions. I can help with your Real Estate property needs.If this is something you would like to pursue, feel free to contact me.

Michael Alex
Real Estate Consultant
cell. 619.581.9348
email. AskMichaelAlex@gmail.com
Pacific Sotheby’s International Realty
San Diego, CA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
Hi Lora,
As my colleagues have stated below, the first step is sorting out the financing. I can refer you to some great lenders if you like and then we can move on to house-hunting. Feel free to contact me directly.

Sinead McAllister
McAllister Homes Real Estate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
I deal with several investors and whether they are in the country or not shouldn't create any problems. The issues at hand is simply developing an effective way to communicate along with figuring out your financial situation, which is no different if you lived in the country anyway!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 5, 2012
I work with foreign buyers and investors on a regular basis. You can obtain a loan living outside the country, it is just matter of getting all your financials together and meeting with a lender that has the right program available.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 4, 2012
Hi Lora,

We know a lender that does these type of loans. You can write us through our profile and we will be glad to send you his information.

Best of luck,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Serving Greater San Diego
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 4, 2012
Hi Lora,

There are several large international banks that work with people who live abroad and want to purchase property in the U.S. Are you a dual citizen? I can give you the names of several people and banks to start with to get the financing worked out and then go from there.


Realtor, Willis Allen San Diego
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012

I have been working with someone in a similar situation. As Jeff mentioned, acquiring a loan is the first step. If you have dual citizenship, contact the banks where you are currently living. Start with the international American banks.

If you have more questions contact Joe Gistaro, he's a loan office who is good at fixing problems before they happen. Joe@gistaro.com

Ben Altman
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
It is possible. Not easy, but possible. I recommend that your initial communications be directed at a mortgage broker/lender. After you have crossed the hurdle of financing you ought to contact a realtor (me) who can work with you to help find the right property to meet your investment needs.

For your financing needs try contacting Karen McKee of Guild Mortgage at kmckee@guildmortgage.com

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Jeff Larabee
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer